VMware Virtual Appliances Community
Gareth1
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual appliance Virtual CD-ROM Jukebox

Hi there, has anyone come across a virtual CD/DVD-Rom jukebox appliance. Is anyone in progress or interested in building one, please let me know.

There is a good description on LinuxJournal: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5639 but my knowledge of Linux is limited.

What would be super cool would be an server (appliance) wit a web-front-end were you could select the ISO image and then you automatically connect to the virtual cd-rom.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Gareth1
Contributor
Contributor

Well looking at the number of replies I will need to move to windows and a commercial package.

Guessing it is not possible in Linux.

0 Kudos
Gareth1
Contributor
Contributor

nothing yet?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Are you asking for someone to create the appliance? Not to be sarcastic, but since no one is posting anything and you do have a link to a partial "how-to", perhaps this is time to learn Linux. Smiley Wink The link seems to indicate that the jukebox is possible, but no one's made a GUI for it yet.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Personally, I don't get it... I just use Daemon Tools on my PC. Whenever I need an image mounted, I point to it, browse my hard drive(s) to look for the ISO image, and mount it. Simple; easy; painless; done.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

I think the jukebox mounts the appropriate ISO in the shared directory without having to install anything on the client.

But like you, I use something on my workstation (VirtualCD ,not freeware) but that's because I'm the only one that needs access to that many CDs. For the office, we copied the contents of all the desired CDs onto a NAS box. Same amount of HD space as the ISO anyway and most of the CDs work fine from a share.

0 Kudos
zaznet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right, a jukebox is a remote CD. In this case ISO images stored on the network, and shared out on demand (non persistent shares).

0 Kudos
samwyse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try this (http://samwyse.googlepages.com/vcdj) and let me know what you think.

0 Kudos