VMware Virtual Appliances Community
VMTN_Admin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Subversion and WebSVN on Ubuntu Server

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/519

Simple drop in solution to source control by using Subversion and WebSVN preconfigured.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
ChaosKCW
Contributor
Contributor

This appliance is terrible.

Root Access is not supplied. Emailing the authors doesnt recieve any response.

Running the machine and following the very first command to create a repository fails due to lack of permissions. Since no root access is provided you cannot use this applicance for what it was intended, createing SVN repositories. or for much for that matter.

Further it does not work correctly on ESX. The Eth0 interface becomes Eth1. Again without root this is impossible to change. We did manage to change it using the recoevery boot, but having to use recovery boot for anything which requires root is stupid.

All in all this applicance is a waste of time.

0 Kudos
ChaosKCW
Contributor
Contributor

I have discovered that some stuff can be done via Webmin. It would be helpfull if this was mentioend on the instructions.

Root pwd should still be provided.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

As it's built using Ubuntu, there is no root user/pwd[/b]!

0 Kudos
peter_mcc
Contributor
Contributor

I had (I think) similar troubles and, not being a Linux expert, was stumped for a while.

To help others:

\- I think the root password is svnpass but I changed it using "sudo passwd root" so I can't be sure (took me a while to work out how and now I'm not sure exactly what I did)

\- edit /etc/network/interfaces and change references from eth0 to eth1 (while logged on as root)

\- type "ifup eth1" to start up the network interface.

After that it was simple!

regards

Peter

0 Kudos
skoban
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know this appliance This is Ubuntu Linux! Neither RHEL nor SLES other stuff like that.

Every administrative Task ist done bei using the 'sudo' command. e.g.

user@host~$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

or

user@host~$ sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces

etc. etc.

You will we asked for a password, which is the password of the current user. The users that are allowed to do that are configured in '/etc/sudoers'. etc. etc.

Of course you can do a 'sudo passwd root' and use 'su' command.

0 Kudos
SuperJason
Contributor
Contributor

1.1 has been released and should fix all of the network issues people have been having. Also, there is information on the site about root access.

http://www.young-technologies.com/Software/Subversion-Virtual-Machine/

0 Kudos
Klaus_M
Contributor
Contributor

I have a problem to get things into my Repository. Everytime, when I want to commit something I get the error: Authorization failed. I use Eclipse with the Subclipse-Plugin. I can't set my Username ad Password in Subclipse. Does anybody know how I can solve the problem?

0 Kudos
prabhakar
Contributor
Contributor

There is a better eclipse plugin for Subversion called Subversive. Check it out. It works much better and faster...

0 Kudos
Frosty
Contributor
Contributor

I installed it an I'm having some issues. The host is RHEL4.4 with all current errata. VMWare Server and all consoles are build 29996. On the local console I see everything, but remotely I ony get a black window.

I have the Sourceforge EE appliance also (no gui), and it displays correctly on the remote console as does a Win2k3 guest I run. I built a plain vanilla ubuntu 6.10 server from an ISO and it works too.

I made sure my vmware user owns everything and also tried logging in as host root on the remote console. No difference.

Is the Young Technologies Subversion-Virtual-Machine using an unusual terminal mode or something? My host server only has a 1024x768 screen so I hate to do anything on it.

Thanks!

Frosty

Message was edited by:

Frosty

0 Kudos
giabi
Contributor
Contributor

what do u mean with "Root Access is not supplied" ???

try "sudo -s"

0 Kudos
rhking
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having issues myself with this one. In all fairness, I'm approaching this as a non-linux guy (VERY rusty Unix skills) who wants a simple, cost-effective (no $ for Windows Server) Subversion repository for .NET work. While I'm willing to get my hands dirty, I don't want to grope in the dark for fear of unintended consequences.

Right off the bat, I can't add users to the repository following the supplied instructions from because I get a permissions error. Odd that svnadmin doesn't have rights to edit the passwd file as shown in the directions.

Am I missing something simple?

0 Kudos
Frosty
Contributor
Contributor

The problem was the execute bit on the Ubuntu.vmx file was not set. You could use the host console, but not the remote console. Once I set the x bit, everything started working.

Frosty

0 Kudos
WarrenKhan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone.

I quite like this product. Using it to replace MS sourcesafe for .net using Ankh (for vis. studio) and Tortoise (for shell extension version controlling everything else, e.g. "My Documents" folder). Takes a while to get in to it - it not as limited as SS, so you have to know what you want to do before deploying it. Knowing that you have "sudo <<whatever>> ", then "svnpass" helps.

Only problem we're having is an error in WebSVN on line 340 of listings.php - not sure what's wrong, possibly we set it up wrong at the beginning? But the demo repo also doesn't work.

Does anyone know what we've done wrong and how to fix it? I have to present it as a solution soon and would like to impress them enough for them to think that virtualisation is a good idea and MS isn't the only cookie in the pot.

Cheers,

Warren

0 Kudos
ingrad
Contributor
Contributor

I have played this solution on VMware Player.

I have chosen Ethernet type NAT and configured network interface on Ubuntu Server and virtual network interface of VMware.

The IP address, subnetmask, gateway and DNS addresses are correct.

I have tried to connect to the WebSVN, which is on my PC under VMPlayer, from other PC on the same LAN without problems.

But then I try to reach WebSVN from my PC, web browser does'nt know address I gave.

Say, my PC has IP address x.x.x.x and the IP address of VMware Player network interface, which is on my PC, x.x.x.y

I have tried ping from my PC to VMware Player on my PC and vice versa without problems.

I will be very thankful for yours suggestions!

Andrius

0 Kudos
Gerald_Bryant
Contributor
Contributor

WebSVN issue Resolved!!!

After many attempts to get help from the author with very little success I was able to work out the issue.

edit the /var/www/WebSVN/include/config.inc file

go to the line that says parentPath

You use the parent path method, uncomment the new line and and replace the path with your one. You can call the function several times if you have several parent paths. Note that in this case the path is a filesystem path

$config->parentPath("Path/to/parent (e.g. c:
svn)");

use this line...

$config->parentPath("/var/svnroot/");

When I did this and retried the WebSVN link the repository showed up and worked properly.

How about we add this link to the FAQ SuperJason?

0 Kudos
stihor1
Contributor
Contributor

The appliance as downloaded failed to unpack. having downloaded a rar tool for my linux system Iam still told that the archive terminates prematurely.

0 Kudos