Enthusiast

Open Source IT Monitor

0 Kudos
12 Replies
bababooey
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I downloaded the GWOpen archive, but there's a password on the zip file that I can't find in the documentation. Am I blind, or is it missing?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
nycguy
Contributor
Contributor

There is no password for the zip file. Are you trying to unzip on Linux or Windows? There have been ad-hoc reports of unzip problems on Linux. It was compressed with WinZIP10 on a Windows host.

nycguy

0 Kudos
blouwagie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

After logging in with root & opensource I get the vmware system running.

However, connecting from the host system does not work because the VM takes on an IP address that is not routable to our IP addresses & I seem not to know how to get it to get an IP address via DHCP.

I set the VMware side up as a bridge, seems to be right thing on other VMware systems I used, but how to I get Fedora to use DHCP?

Thanks

Bart

0 Kudos
blouwagie
Contributor
Contributor

Ok

This was like the hardest thing for me to find out... everyone talks about setting up DHCP servers on help sites etc.

Here is the simple answer:

\- Set the VMware machine ethernet card to Bridged

\- After logging in to Linux (default root, opensource), the type in dhclient[/b]

Regards

Bart

0 Kudos
jakewilliams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am evaluating this and I have two suggestions to make for the creator of the VMA. These are just suggestions, not trying to be critical Smiley Happy

1. The default runlevel should be 3. All you have someone do in the GUI is stuff at the command line anyway, and you shouldn't have the GUI running on an appliance that doesn't need it.

2. I strongly suggest that you disable root SSH logins, since the root password is published.

Thanks,

Jake Williams

ELCOM

0 Kudos
nycguy
Contributor
Contributor

Jake,

The Xwin function is needed if you want to use vmware-toolbox to shrink disk etc. I don't know how we can use just runlevel 3 as a result.

Disabling root login in a deployment environment is a great suggestion for anyone considering use of this appliance. I considered setting up sudo for various things, but choice to keep it simple for now.

Thanks for contributing!

nycguy

0 Kudos
drol5864
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone provide some more info on configuring and testing email notifications for this appliance. I have notifications enabled, but have not figured how to send any sort of test email from the web interface. As well, I have not been able to check email functionality at the OS level. Any insight into configuring and testing email notifications is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
nycguy
Contributor
Contributor

Support questions for this appliance are answered on the Groundwork Open forum. Here's a post regarding email woes

http://www.groundworkopensource.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69&highlight=email+alert

0 Kudos
intellicorp
Contributor
Contributor

The zip file appears to be corrupted. I've tried several different uncompression applications and downloaded it multiple times. Each time I try to uncompress, I get something along these lines:

! GWOpen.zip: Unknown method in GWOpen\Evaluating Groundwork Monitor Open Source.pdf

! GWOpen.zip: Unknown method in GWOpen\gwopen-vm-readme.txt

! GWOpen.zip: Unknown method in GWOpen\GWOpen.vmx

! GWOpen.zip: Unknown method in GWOpen\nvram

! GWOpen.zip: Unknown method in GWOpen\Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.vmdk

! GWOpen.zip: Unknown method in GWOpen\vmware-0.log

! GWOpen.zip: Unknown method in GWOpen\vmware-1.log

! GWOpen.zip: Unknown method in GWOpen\vmware-2.log

! GWOpen.zip: Unknown method in GWOpen\vmware.log

0 Kudos
nycguy
Contributor
Contributor

What OS are you downloading it to? The file was compressed with bzip2, which has caused many some grief until they upgrade their compression software to support it.

0 Kudos
intellicorp
Contributor
Contributor

Originally tried several uncompression programs for Windows, including Bzip2 v1.0.3. Also downloaded the entire file again on a CentOS 4 machine and got the same results when uncompressing:

\[root@inimitable ~]# bunzip2 GWOpen.zip

bunzip2: Can't guess original name for GWOpen.zip -- using GWOpen.zip.out

bunzip2: GWOpen.zip is not a bzip2 file.

Also got the same md5sum on both seperate downloads:

\[root@inimitable ~]# md5sum GWOpen.zip

cb1d6f88b55ed880c602218b95cb6b1b GWOpen.zip

I've got a 4.5Mb connection and I'm not going through any kind of proxy. Anyone have an md5sum for the zip?

0 Kudos
nycguy
Contributor
Contributor

Sure,

#md5sum GWOpen.zip

cb1d6f88b55ed880c602218b95cb6b1b GWOpen.zip

The same appliance can be downloaded from here via wget if you want

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/509

Rich

0 Kudos