VMware Virtual Appliances Community
VMTN_Admin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Network Security Toolkit (NST) Virtual Machine

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/141

Best-of-breed open source network security applications with supporting scripts and a web-based front-end management interface.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
laray88
Contributor
Contributor

Dosen't seem to boot properly

"unknown interrupt EIP" errors after splash screen

Tried to boot with VMPlayer and WKS 5.5.1

0 Kudos
laray88
Contributor
Contributor

Nevermind - an updated version of Player semed to correct the issue

Nice appliance, I have used the Cd based vesions before. Glad to see this in a virtual.

0 Kudos
tleyman
Contributor
Contributor

Nice appliance. Good for security types

0 Kudos
RP10
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem - it appears I have the latest version of VMWare Player and I get the error also and it won't load.

I guess it's not good form to complain since it's free but I'm a bit curious why it works for some and not others....

I'm open to any hints- I've reinstalled VMPlayer and the NST so I don't know what else to try.

thanks!

0 Kudos
pblankenbaker
Contributor
Contributor

What platform are you running your VMware Player on Linux or Windows?

One could try "Power Off and exit" from the Player menu bar under Player => troubleshoot.

Then restart the player.

0 Kudos
BBWIOC
Contributor
Contributor

Where can I find a straight .zip download of this virtual machine rather than the offered "zip.torrent" download format?

Message was edited by:

BBWIOC

0 Kudos
cocarl
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to know this as well. I downloaded the nst-vms-1.4.1.zip.torrent file and tried to open it using BitTorrent, but got errors indicating a problem with the tracker:

\[2006-06-20 18:09:51] "nst-vm-1.4.1.zip" : Problem connecting to tracker -

Is a .zip file available at all? Or is there something else I'm doing wrong?

0 Kudos
pblankenbaker
Contributor
Contributor

The NST Virtual Machine[/b] is now also available for download at the NST sourceforge.net site:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/nst/nst-vm-1.4.1.zip?download

Message was edited by:

pblankenbaker

0 Kudos
felipel
Contributor
Contributor

having the interrupt problem too...

0 Kudos
rlguye
Contributor
Contributor

post removed

0 Kudos
mikejones1919
Contributor
Contributor

Curious - What's the advantage of using this VM over simply booting the NST ISO from a "dummy" VM (that is, with little or no HD & the ISO as the cdrom)?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nst

That's how I've been doing it for a long time. Just curious if this is a better solution for some reason.

0 Kudos
rwhAlbany
Contributor
Contributor

Please refer to the NST VMware FAQ on "[b]Why I Would Want To Run NST Within a Virtual Machine[/b]":

http://nst.sourceforge.net/nst/docs/faq/ch13.html

---rwh[/b]

0 Kudos
pblankenbaker
Contributor
Contributor

Ron was able to replicate the interrupt issue that you and another person have encountered.

We included a SMP kernel in our distribution (this allows people to make use of more than one CPU if they desire to do so). Unfortunately, we've discovered (well after the contest ended) that some systems can not boot the SMP kernel. Ron came across a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop which has this issue. Interestingly enough, the Dell Inspiron 8200 does not have this issue.

There is no work around other than to boot the NST Virtual Machine on a different system.

We will distribute a non-SMP kernel in the 1.4.2 release of the NST.

0 Kudos
Turbo8u
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the VM. I have been testing and found that I cannot run this VM in the Enterprise Server 1.0 but it does work fine in a VMPlayer.

0 Kudos
DRGnetwork
Contributor
Contributor

I must be doing something wrong. The root password nst@2003 does not work on the 1.4.2 VM I downloaded from sourceforge.

0 Kudos
DRGnetwork
Contributor
Contributor

Got it! No @.

0 Kudos
laray88
Contributor
Contributor

Yep- got me too

RTFM Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
kevinsonney
Contributor
Contributor

It is just me or does the root/nst@2003 password not work?

0 Kudos
pblankenbaker
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, we changed the default access to root/[b]nst2003[/b] in the 1.4.2 release (removed the '@' character).

We didn't like making the change, but there have been a number of international users which have pointed out that the '@' symbol is difficult to enter (changing keyboard mappings isn't possible until you log in).

We posted this information in many different locations:

\- The README file which is included in the ZIP

\- The online FAQ

\- Our home page

\- Our VMware page (right below the link to the new 1.4.2 release)

\- Its posted in this forum by other users

Hopefully we will never need to change the default password again.

Paul

0 Kudos