Enthusiast

Network Management Station

0 Kudos
64 Replies
reverent
Contributor
Contributor

To fix the "unable to lock file" issue:

copy the BSDApp to your 😧 root directory so the files are in the D:\BSDApp folder. I believe the author linked an imported virtual machine to a system image, and the path in the FreeBSD-000002.vmdk file is wrong. However, I have tried changing the path in the FreeBSD-000002.vmdk file to the accurate path, and I get an error that says the .vmdk file is not valid, so, if you really want to use this, a surefire solution (verified on three computers) is to have a 😧 drive and put this in the root and you will be good to go and have a great appliance.

0 Kudos
muldoonaz
Contributor
Contributor

I've tested opening the FreeBSD-000002.vmdk file in Notepad++ (not windows default notepad, mind you) and this is what I was presented with:

version=1

CID=b6a2a942

parentCID=33c90c37

createType="monolithicSparse"

parentFileNameHint="D:\BSDApp\FreeBSD.vmdk"[/b]

\# Extent description

RW 8388608 SPARSE "FreeBSD-000002.vmdk"

\# The Disk Data Base

#DDB

I modified the parentFileNameHint to exclude a path and saved the file. When I opened the vmx file, I got the error about it not being a valid vdmx file but it gave me the option to repair it. Once it was repaired, it worked perfectly.

Modified line should read:

parentFileNameHint="FreeBSD.vmdk"[/b]

0 Kudos
webhead74
Contributor
Contributor

I, too, am having a problem. Downloaded the torrent today (9/11) & extracted fine with winrar.

I'm using vmware server 1.0.1.

When I load the VM, it appears to be in a suspended state. When I attemtpt to resume the VM, I get the following error:

"Cannot open the disk 'e:\bsdapp\FreeBSD-000002.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Reason: Failed to lock the file"

Any ideas? The file it mentions is there, at the path it mentions.

In FreeBSD.vmx I can change:

ide0:0.fileName = "FreeBSD-000002.vmdk"

to

ide0:0.fileName = "FreeBSD.vmdk"

and it seems to boot okay. Is this a problem?? Should I be using FreeBSD-000002.vmdk?

0 Kudos
vmwaredawg
Contributor
Contributor

read reverent's solution posted earlier, it works. Smiley Happy great appliance.

0 Kudos
morassog
Contributor
Contributor

hello

I was able to gunzip & extract from the tarfile (from linux) then run at the first temptative the VM and it was pretty cool!

this from Vmware Workstation 5.5, I tried to run the Vm with GSX Server 3.x but it keeps giving "invalid configuration file" error

is it compatible with GSX?

thanks and best regards

0 Kudos
IrishMike
Contributor
Contributor

I would be very happy to just be able to find the files.

I cannot use bit torrent so I have to use a fixed file someplace.

Where can I get it? Anyone?

0 Kudos
scotte30m3
Contributor
Contributor

For all the Windows people that are trying to get this to work. I used Windows XP sp2 and Winzip 10.0 evaluation copy to extract the file. WinZip has to run in classic mode. when is ask you if you want to open the file in a temporary folder say "no". The file will open with question marks in some of the columns. Right click the tar file and extract it. Open the folder that it extracts. You find another tar file. Open the file in Winzip 10.0. Highlight all of its content and extract it. Now you have the files on your computer for VMWARE. Now you have to... [b]READ[/b][/u] muldoonaz's post.

His fixed worked for me. Thanks muldoonaz!!

0 Kudos
twslex
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Today nov 9th, i've tried the winzip 10 option with the notepad++ and it is working like a charme.

With regards, Alex
0 Kudos
FRANKEWEbdk
Contributor
Contributor

Can it montoring windows services to?

And monitoring open ports?

0 Kudos
FJoyce
Contributor
Contributor

After Following Muldoonaz instructions I was able to get the VM working but I could not get it to drop it's "Suspended State" even when shutting it down. This means I can adjust the startup/shutdown settings for the vm...

Anyone else experiencing this or know a way around it???

Thanks

Fletch

0 Kudos
pbertain
Contributor
Contributor

I love this app but it has stopped monitoring. I cannot find a cronjob that starts the Cacti process (crontab -u root -l) but the monitoring and threshold pages are not updating and new entries are not getting any stats at all.

I am not familiar with Free/NetBSD so I wonder if there is something I am missing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
tlsarles
Contributor
Contributor

I like this VM. I was wondering what the root mysql password is? I believe i need this to use phpmyadmin

0 Kudos
steellis
Contributor
Contributor

Assuming you are using VMPlayer.

Click VMPlayer on the top line and from teh drop down

Troubleshoot - Reset

This will act as though you have hard reset the system and start the from scratch.

0 Kudos
rprante
Contributor
Contributor

Where can I find this virtual appliance for download - some place other than BitTorrent? Is there an ftp or http download available somewhere??

BitTorrent is not an option for me..

Thanks!

Rob

0 Kudos
minxing2000
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone reseed this torren? please

0 Kudos
wallyd
Contributor
Contributor

When opening the VM I receive this error:

One or more of the disks used by this virtual machine was created by an unsupported version of VMware server. To power on or upgrade the virtual machine, either remove the unsupported disk(s) or use a version of VMware Server that supports this version of disks. Below is a list of the disks and their reported versions.

Version 1 FreeBSD-000002.vmdk

I'm using VMWare Server 1.0.2.

Any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

-wmd

0 Kudos
duanew
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to download and unzip using Winzip 11.

0 Kudos
duanew
Contributor
Contributor

Mysql admin userid/password is root/mysql

0 Kudos
sammyc53
Contributor
Contributor

This VM Appl. works great...

Until I reboot it. It looks like it boots up fine, but I can not browse to the interface in a web browser...

I can ping it, it's there!

Any ideas?

I have downloaded, set it up, and tried it three times! Same result.

Nor can I get to IPADDRESS:1000 or the phpadmin page.

0 Kudos
jmblack
Contributor
Contributor

I installed this VM without any problem on my XP workstation which does have a D drive and is running VMware Workstation 5.5.4-44386. It runs great and I got it configured and working well. The problem starts when I try to move it to one of our VM machines running VMware Server 1.0.3.

As it has only 1 drive, I changed the path in FreeBSD-000002.vmdk to read:

parentFileNameHint="C:\VM\NMS\BSDApp\FreeBSD.vmdk"[/b]

When I try to open it with VMware Server the diak does show in the settings, but when I start it I get the following:

Operation on file "c:\vm\nms\bsdapp\FreeBSD-000002.vmdk" failed (Read beyond the end of file).

Choose Retry to attempt the operation again. Choose Abort to terminate this session.

Choose Continue to forward the error to the guest operating system.[/b]

Is there an issue with running this on VMware Server 1.0.3?

0 Kudos