VMware Virtual Appliances Community
VMTN_Admin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NagiosVMA

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/372

NagiosVMA, service, host & network monitoring in 10 minutes.

0 Kudos
70 Replies
David_Clark
Contributor
Contributor

If you're a Nagios newbie like meself then have a go at this . . . I was struggling to get Nagios running properly on a CentOS install and whilst it might have taken me slightly longer than 10mins to get this appliance up and running it sure as hell was a lot quicker than the first method.

My thanks to the people who went to the trouble of creating this appliance and for making my world a nicer place to live - I spent the time saved with my newborn daughter instead Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
boomstik
Contributor
Contributor

A "me too" here. Whenever I try to scan a 192.168.0.* subnet, the screen just refreshes. If I try to scan 192.168.1.*, it scans fine (doesn't find anything because that subnet doesn't exist), but for every host it tries to contact while scanning, it returns the "500 Internal Server Error".

Also, an attempt to view the 3D map tries to download a .cgi file. Tested on Firefox on Linux, OS X and Windows, as well as IE 6.... never got a 3D map....

0 Kudos
boomstik
Contributor
Contributor

okay, an update... After configuring the machine with a static IP address and proper DNS, I stopped receiving "500" errors when trying to scan a subnet.

Still can't scan 192.168.0.* though.... any idea why? anyone?????....

0 Kudos
xneo27
Contributor
Contributor

For some reason when I boot up to the login screen, It does not have a boot time IP. Can anyone help me out here?

0 Kudos
onslo
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to get around the 192.168.0.* scanning issue by modifying the monarch_ez.cgi code found in /usr/lib/cgi-bin

On line 581 remove

&& $hidden\{'oct3'}

then on line 585 change the > (greater than) operator to a >= (greater than or equal to) operator.

Job done, now I can scan 192.168.0.*

Regards

Onslo

0 Kudos
finnegan
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

does anyone know how I can change the webinterface login

(default user=nagiosadmin password=nagios) or how do I add a new user.

Thanks

0 Kudos
finnegan
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know how to configure the NagiosVMA to send messages to Windows Clients using NetSend or similar. I need to get messages to the desk in whatever form possible.

0 Kudos
finnegan
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone managed to get NTray to work with this groundwork version of nagios.

There seems to be a general problem reading the status.cgi file.

I would appreciate any ideas.

0 Kudos
bijucyborg
Contributor
Contributor

How do I install check_nrpe on the NagiosVMA.

Compilation gives me ssl error..!

Any quick method.....any help appreciated.

Regards

bijucyborg

0 Kudos
rbcastle
Contributor
Contributor

I've verified that this works also. I did need to make some similar changes to the oct2 line to allow me to scan the 10.0.0.* subnet.

0 Kudos
sstranger
Contributor
Contributor

Does anybody knows how to install the net-snmp package? I want to use the Nagios VMA for SNMP Trap Handling (see article http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9559/sam0503g/0503g.htm)

If I use the apt-get install net-snmp method I get an error of “Please insert the disk labeled Debian ….”

Do I need to download this CD from http://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/index.nl.html for installing net-snmp?

Regards,

Stefan Stranger

http://weblog.stranger.nl

0 Kudos
jonwatson
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem. It will scan and discover routable IPs without issue, but nothing on my 192.168.0* network.

Did anyone on a 192 ever get this working?

0 Kudos
jonwatson
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't see this post. Works like a charm - thanks!

0 Kudos
dotcom
Contributor
Contributor

I just loaded this appliance on one of my VMware servers.

It appears to boot, but the VMware tools reports to be out of date, and

it does not display any video.

My other VMware appliances work fine, I have plenty of memory, disk, etc...

Every other aspect of my VMware server is perfectly fine. running server 1.0.2...

I think this appliance may need an update! It does not run under current versions of vmware server... as far as I can tell...

I loaded it up on my xp machine's vmware server, and it is running fine!

Does anyone know of any reason it might not properly run on my Ubuntu LTS based VMware 1.0.2 server? My xp machine is running 1.0.2 as well...

0 Kudos
dotcom
Contributor
Contributor

If I use the apt-get install net-snmp method I get an

error of “Please insert the disk labeled Debian ….”

Do I need to download this CD from

http://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/index.nl.html for

installing net-snmp?

You need to remove the cd from your /etc/apt/sources.list.

the sources.list file tells apt-get where to get packages from.

You should read-up on apt-get, and construct a sources.list file to correctly list the sites that carry the code you want to install.

Since this vm is not working for me, I can't give you a more specific answer... Oops! It runs under XP! Ok, comment out the first line, and uncomment the last three lines, and use apt-get as you normally would...

I haven't done this yet, but you should update, upgrade, and THEN add your additional software. /you may have to add lines to the sources.list file to get software that is not available at the listed sites.

0 Kudos
dotcom
Contributor
Contributor

Well, after using monarch for a few hours, I have some good feedback to give...

First of all, sorting IP addresses is a numeric thing. You are doing alpha sorts on numeric data. That is wrong! For example these hosts:

192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.65 and 192.168.1.129 are all default routes on the top of 3 subnet's.

Organizing these is difficult when a "sort" gives alpha results:

This is not very well sorted.

Second, when defining dependencies, it would be nice to be able to define them using grouped hierarchies. For example, if I have a subnet with 120 hosts, and one router, I should be able to select the one router, and all 120 hosts, and define the 120 hosts as dependant on the one router using a single page submit. Instead monarch requires me to select each host one at a time, to define what it is dependant on. So instead of doing this with one quick screen, I must use 120 screens to do it. It is much faster to edit the nagios config files with vi, or to write a script to construct the file by hand, than it is to use monarch.

Monarch is a great start at a tool for inserting objects into nagios! It shows great promise... However it needs to learn to sort, and to group dependants before it is ready for a busy admin with hundreds of hosts to monitor.

I am a real-world user. My application is an ISP network, and I have thousands of users to monitor. Your tools help in some ways, and hurt in others.

How I must use monarch is that I can use the web page to create the base config files, where bulk operations are supported. When a bulk operation is not properly supported, I must use monarch to create the first example of a set, and then edit the file by hand to create the rest of the set.

So I /will/ use monarch... But only as a example file generator, I still get more mileage out of using vi.

Also, I ran an apt-get upgrade, 48 or so packages upgraded, but 176 were held back. After the upgrade, nagios won't run. I'm doing a dselect-upgrade next to see if it will fix it... But unless nagios works when I'm done, your appliance cannot be properly maintained without a lot of additional support.

I would suggest that you switch to ubuntu LTS, which has a 5 year self-life, and that you create a plan for managing support issues that occur when updates are applied. A apt package that fixes nagios should ride along with the system, and every time nagios breaks, you should script up a fix, and release it as an apt update to the "fix package" so that running apt-get works as it should. Of course this means you will need to add your update server to the apt sources.list file. And for that matter, the sources.list file should be shipped in a correctly working config, rather than asking for a cd we don't have.

I think you have done some great preliminary work on monarch, and it is a useful tool in taming nagios... But there is plenty of room for improvement.

This is not a package that can, by itself, be dropped into a large real-world network. It does not scale well, it can't handle dependencies in a scalar manner. I will use it to make a quick-start config, then I will spend hours editing the files by hand to fix them.

I will continue to evaluate it and hope that I am wrong about the things I have found to be negative... and I will update this post accordingly.

But between not running on a unix VMware server, and not being scalable, it is an alpha-level product... not ready to be called beta. I understand you have "enterprise" tools... but I am not even interested in looking at them after seeing what monarch won't do for me. You must impress me with a commercial grade version of monarch, to entice me to want to dig into your enterprise offerings.

So I /will/ use monarch... sorta...

0 Kudos
dotcom
Contributor
Contributor

I had to create a new VM in VMserver.

First, I deleted all the files except the

NagiosVMA.vmdk file from the original appliance

download.

Second, I created a new Vm in VMWare Server and

selected Custom then Linux and "Other Linux'. I gave

the new VM the same name 'NagiosVMA' and pointed to

the original file where the vmdk file still exists.

Third, when asked about I/O adapters I selected

BusLogic and then on the next screen I told the VM

wizard to use an existing disk and told it to use the

original NagiosVMA.vmdk

After that I was able to boot the VM fine.

Thanks!!!

This is useful info that can be applied to many other appliances that I can't boot... Good job on a great tip!

Of course I substitute gwopen5.vmdk for NagiosVMA.vmdk...

Also, buslogic was wrong, vmare correctly identified this error and tried to stop me, I insisted and the boot failed as vmware predicted. I redid it selecting LSI instead of buslogic, and the boot proceeded as it should.

Clearly you were talking about the NagiosVMA appliance, not the groundwork appliance. However once I corrected the minor differences between the two appliances, I was able to boot, so your advice was very helpful.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
dotcom
Contributor
Contributor

Of course I am an idiot, I have managed to make comments on the wrong appliance!

That is what I get for testing two at the same time.

0 Kudos
mspiro
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know how to set up email alerts. I can not find how to tell it to send all emails to the ip address of my mail server to pass to the outside. With devices like the copy machines I put in a SMTP Gateway and they will send email out through the mail server.

0 Kudos
ace_of_blacksta
Contributor
Contributor

Had a question

Downloaded the Virtual appliance Nagios VMA

I logged in using root and nagios...

I am unable to launch the webpage....

How does the nic settings be configured for the virtual machine...

thanks

0 Kudos