VMware Virtual Appliances Community
VMTN_Admin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NAMP (NetBSD + Apache + MySQL + PostgreSQL + PHP)

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/636

NAMP is the NetBSD equivalent of the popular LAMP deployment in the Linux world

0 Kudos
19 Replies
karikomi
Contributor
Contributor

I can't show PHP files ON Apache ( ex.index.php).

Why??

0 Kudos
GennaroM
Contributor
Contributor

I downloaded the file NAMP.ZIP from its site many times but this file is corrupted and winzip doesn't open it!!!!

0 Kudos
haidut
Contributor
Contributor

Karikomi,

Can you get to phpMyAdmin and phpPgAdmin? If they work, then PHP works too, so it probably has to do with the way you create the PHP file. For instance, make sure you use "<?php ?>" instead of "<? ?>" when you write your PHP code in the file. If that doesn't work, let me know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
haidut
Contributor
Contributor

The file is compressed using the builtin WIndows ZIP utility. I just downloaded the file and it uncompresses fine.

0 Kudos
haidut
Contributor
Contributor

If you want to install additional software, simply ensure that the network interface is up and run the command "pkg_add PKG_NAME" as root. The package manager will go out and fetch the software plus any other dependencies that the package has. For instance, the command "pkg_add lynx" will install the Lynx text browser and all of its dependencies.

0 Kudos
encoded_9
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there.

I'm quite a newbie for VMWare Fusion who just starts trial on Intel MacBook Black (2GHz of Core2Duo) running with MacOSX 10.4.9.

Installing Windows 2000 has been very successful. It looks good.

But NAMP doesn't boot. I just download NAMP.zip from the link on this site, and unzipped.

Does anyone has suggestions ?

Thanks and regards.

0 Kudos
encoded_9
Contributor
Contributor

An addition, I also tried Haiku, and it simply worked.

I want to make run NAMP on my laptop.

I need help.

0 Kudos
rocketero
Contributor
Contributor

I tryed to install the package KDE but somehow the *.vmdk virtual hard disk was setup TOO SMALL and the package didnt intall Smiley Sad

unfortunatelly vmware can not resize a vmdk hd to sett it up a little bigger (it's 1GB in size).

Any suggestion on how to resolve this issue ??

appreciated.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>unfortunatelly vmware can not resize a vmdk hd to sett it up a little bigger (it's 1GB in size).

Sure it can. Run the vmware-vdiskmanager and expand the virtual disk to a larger size. Then, inside the guest, run a partitioning utility to either create a new partition in the new available space, or extend an existing partition.

0 Kudos
rocketero
Contributor
Contributor

i tryed to resize the disk with the -x option and the command failed to execute, it says:

"the file specified is not a virtual disk (16)"

but if it wasn't a virtual disk how come I can boot the vmware appliance with not problems.

also if I try to execute the command with the -s (size) option it comes with this message:

"invalid capacity string"

Message was edited by:

rocketero

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Most likely you have either a syntax issue, or are selecting the wrong file.

What is your host OS? If Windows, you may want to use my GUI wrapper for the vmware-vdiskmanager utility. See my profile for website.

What VMware product are you running?

Are there any snapshots of the guest? You cannot perform any operations with the vdiskmanager utility with the guest powered on or suspended, or if a snapshot exists.

Rob

0 Kudos
rocketero
Contributor
Contributor

the host OS is: Windows Vista

vmware workstation 6.0 Beta

and there is not snapshots, I just downloaded this virtual appliance a minutes ago so I haven't done much in it as it boots to the command line and all I was trying to do was install the X window.

0 Kudos
rocketero
Contributor
Contributor

As the disk is full now I guess there is not much to do, even if I can get to resize the disk, when I boot the partition where netBSD is install is already full and it won't boot to the command line as before, righ now is booting but at the end is comming a looped message about 'disk being full"

I'm going to start from the beginning, I will unzip the original *.vmdk file from the namp.zip file and see if I can resize that disk. I'll keep posted.

0 Kudos
rocketero
Contributor
Contributor

ok, back to square root one.

I unzipped the file other-flat.vmdk and started again, but it is giving me the same message when I try to resize it:

"failed to open the disk 'other-flat.vmdk' : the file specified is NOT a virtual disk (16)"

is there a known issue about vmware-workstation 6 beta and resizing a disk?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You need to select the actual disk descriptor file, NOT the -flat binary disk file.

0 Kudos
rocketero
Contributor
Contributor

hey, it worked !

I would have never guessed how to do it.

very much appreciated.

Now going back to my original post, I have to figure out how to resize the root partition or how to move the /usr to the extra space in the disk

as I'm sort of noob to linux in the command line I'll have to do some research.

0 Kudos
rocketero
Contributor
Contributor

ok, I know this question doesn't have to do with vmware, but this is what is happening:

I booted this appliance with a knoppix-LiveCD linux, (changed the boot order in the vmware guest OS to boot from CD-Rom)

so I oppened gparted, a graphical partition utility so I could resize the NAMP partition that I resized from 1GB to 3GB.

But, somehow gparted is reporting the NAMP partition as an 'UnKnown' File System Type. Even if I mount this patition in knoppix, it doesn't show any files.

I was just trying to resize this partition so I have created another partition in the extra space I have (2GB) with file-system-type ext3.

I went back and booted with the NAMP and typed:

fdisk -l

the type of partition reported for the NAMP appliance is type: 169 or a netbsd-partition, seems like gparted doesn't read this type of partition.

0 Kudos
dserodio
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a Virtual Appliance newbie, how do I connect to this appliance? Which IP address does it use?

Also, I tried to create a PostgreSQL database on the shell using "createdb test", but it failed because the "root" PostgreSQL user doesn't exist. I tried using the "postgres" user (like the standard PostgreSQL install), but it doesn't exist either.

Which PostgreSQL user should I use?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel Serodio

0 Kudos
dserodio
Contributor
Contributor

Replying to myself, for the benefit of fellow forum users:

The PosgresSQL user is called pgsql.

Apparently, this appliance will not find an IP using DHCP, so I manually assigned an IP address in the range that the VMware installer chose for NAT Networking (in my case, that's 192.168.244.1), by logging in as root and issuing

ifconfig pcn0 192.168.244.100

Now I'm able to connect to this appliance.

0 Kudos