MindTouch Deki

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/705

MindTouch Deki is the world's first commercial wiki virtual appliance

0 Kudos
23 Replies
aedwards
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to demo this for a couple of clients as a VM within VM player but what is the administrative username & password for this VM? It isnt documented on the Appliance page as with most others and I cannot find anything listed in the documentation nor startup display.

I need to be able to control its shutdown with the host o/s to provide a clean shutdown.

0 Kudos
Roebot
Contributor
Contributor

When you install MindTouch Deki for the first time you provide an email address. A password is emailed to the email you provided. At this time you can login and change the admin account/password and create up to 5 users.

To shut down MindTouch Deki instead of just suspending it click Player from the toolbar of the VMPlayer > Preferences > Check When Exiting: Power off the virtual machine > Click Ok > Click X to close VMPlayer. You'll see the VM shut down.

0 Kudos
tor_s_eilertsen
Contributor
Contributor

Hmmm.

Tried installing this Deki thing, but i need to configure the VM with a proxy for internetaccess, so i newer got a email. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
larryc-cii
Contributor
Contributor

Downloaded what was supposed to be an VM Appliance. All it was was code with VM Player in the Zip. No vmdk files, vmx files, etc. If they put this little thought into presenting to the VM communities ..... I'd be a little concerned about using the product .... period.

Message was edited by:

larryc-cii

Message was edited by:

larryc-cii

Message was edited by:

larryc-cii

0 Kudos
larryc-cii
Contributor
Contributor

Got clarification from the company:

The VM is in a subdirectory and it is called MindTouchDeki_Image.zip (or something close). It is a zip within the initial zip .... so I'll take back my comments. The images was not in "plain sight, etc"

0 Kudos
coreyg
Contributor
Contributor

We have a new release out right now called Hayes. Included in this release are the following features:

*Bi-Directional API

*Web Service Extensions

*Commenting

*Tags

*and more...(See more features at http://www.getDekiWiki.com)

Also we fixed bugs and improved compatibility with networks.

The download is Free for Unlimited Users[/b].

Message was edited by:

coreyg

0 Kudos
julieis
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the great product!

Absolutely the best on the market.

Saves us a lot of IT set-up time most users don't think about when looking for a product. Low maintenance is exactly what we need to keep our focus on using the tool instead of how to support it.

Thanks to MindTouch!

0 Kudos
Psycan
Contributor
Contributor

When I upgraded VM to 2.0, it will no longer work with the Deki 1.8vmx. Gives and error message saying that the vmx is already in use. Any fix for this?

0 Kudos
David_Guest
Contributor
Contributor

I put up an experimental version of Mindtouch, opened the router and was able to update it from the internet.... However, later, even though it was still running, I started getting the message, that the wiki was down. Looking at it, it did not seem to be in an abnormal state.

There seemed to be no way to solve the problem. Every time I stopped the player, it restored the VM to its previous unworkable state. I didn't know how to get to the administrative page, because I never got any emails from the wiki.

So much for an appliance. My concept of an appliance is that you plug it in and it works. If you have to fiddle with it, it isn't an appliance...

0 Kudos
coreyg
Contributor
Contributor

Psycan...the issue you are running into probably has to do with it not being fully shutdown, check and see if there is an lck file in the directory after you shutdown the Deki wiki

0 Kudos
coreyg
Contributor
Contributor

David,

Try reseting the VM as that will reset the operating system. Typically after you update Deki Wiki you need to restart to have the changes apply and to reset the API engine and the web server. That is probably why you received that error.

0 Kudos
David_Guest
Contributor
Contributor

How do you reset the VM? I tried stopping the player and then restarting it and the VM, but it goes through a restore step and resets to the hung state....

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Delete (or rename/move) the .vmss file located in the VM's folder.

0 Kudos
coreyg
Contributor
Contributor

You should be able to go to the VMplayer menu at the top of the screen and then go to troubleshoot and then click reset

0 Kudos
David_Guest
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I'll try that when I get home...

0 Kudos
affinityvision
Contributor
Contributor

The product looks really good, but I couldn't believe that the pages don't render properly with Firefox! They look fine in IE7, but there is a great community of Firefox users.

0 Kudos
coreyg
Contributor
Contributor

Affintyvision,

We pride ourselves on support for Firefox...what issues for rendering were you encountering?

Thanks

Corey

0 Kudos
affinityvision
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Corey,

See here:

http://www.affinityvision.com.au/mindtouch.pdf

Kind Regards

AndrewM

0 Kudos
coreyg
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for bringing that to our attention...what version of FF are you using? I use 2.0 and it looks ok in it.

0 Kudos