VMware Virtual Appliances Community
VMTN_Admin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mainframe (System/370, ESA/390, and z/Architecture) Virtual Appliance

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/369

A Virtual appliance to enable Mainframe Server Virtualisation on an x86 Platform

0 Kudos
42 Replies
cseesup
Contributor
Contributor

I see the point that emulating OS/370 (Hercules) under (non-dinosaurs, read on top of[/i]) virtualization (VMWare) is (not advantageously) redundant from the isolation argument.

The one advantage I do see in doing so, however, comes from the manageability aspect. Specifically, if you're already invested in a VMWare infrastructure, it makes more sense to run Hercules in a VM so you can shuffle all of your virtual systems around consistently.

Further, in the case of managed resource utilization, it would be imperative to run Hercules under a VM.

0 Kudos
bahae
Contributor
Contributor

Agree with the above.

Also, when you run multiple hercules each within their own virtual enviroment, you get:

1. The advantage of VMOTION. i.e being able to move instances across

machines at RUN time

2. A hercules instance with a faulty piece of code could end up consuming excessive resources and impact other apps in the same environment. VERY HARMFUL. with a virtualised hercules instance resource consumption is limited.

0 Kudos
deltan
Contributor
Contributor

Weve been using this to run Linux 390 with some DB apps we ported over. Works very nice.

Thank you and keep up the good work

0 Kudos
Hal_Styli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've either been far too polite or far too subtle. You decide cos this is as clear as I can make it.

I get annoyed when my time is wasted by a big download that does very little. If this appliace was any good, I would be using it - yes, really!

I'm just trying to save other people's time. If you read my comments and still download this appliance then you deserve to have your time wasted!

@cseesup

>I see the point that emulating OS/370 (Hercules) under (non-dinosaurs, read on top of ) virtualization (VMWare) is (not advantageously) redundant from the isolation argument.

Glad you can see the point, shame you need to explain the obvious to others, running a guest \*under* a host is commonly used terminology in vmware cirlces as well as elsewhere!!! Duh!

non-dinosaurs??? Now that's embarassing, even for a first post.

OS/370 (Hercules)? Are you saying Hercules=OS/370? Presumably you mean: running OS/370 or Linux/390 or z/OS or any other 360/370/390 based operating system under Hercules, under vmware under Xp or Linux (if this confuses you, maybe this appliance ain't for you!).

>The one advantage I do see in doing so, however, comes from the manageability aspect. Specifically, if you're already invested in a VMWare infrastructure, it makes more sense to run Hercules in a VM so you can shuffle all of your virtual systems around consistently.

Does it? You find it tough managing and moving folders around?

>Further, in the case of managed resource utilization, it would be imperative to run Hercules under a VM.

What? Which O/S are you referring to? Or do you still think OS/370 = Hercules?

Read my previous post about IBM's VM/ESA (etc) O/S. Tried running multiple Hercules instances?

@bahae (another first time caller)

>Agree with the above.

Really? You tried Hercules on its own without dowloading a massive 600MB shell?

\- which doesn't even have vm tools installed!!!!!!! A lot of work clearly went into this appliance!

>Also, when you run multiple hercules each within their own virtual enviroment, you get:

>1. The advantage of VMOTION. i.e being able to move instances across machines at RUN time

I wonder how many people will do that! perhaps you and cseeup!!!!

What about licensing concerns? Oh you don't have any, so you are using Linux/390 with VMotion.

Yeah right.

>2. A hercules instance with a faulty piece of code could end up consuming excessive resources and >impact other apps in the same environment. VERY HARMFUL. with a virtualised hercules instance >resource consumption is limited.

Of course, happens to me all the time.....

@deltan

>Weve been using this to run Linux 390 with some DB apps we ported over. Works very nice.

>Thank you and keep up the good work

Why not run your app directly on Linux/Hercules without vmware? Clearly as a Linux/390 user you have Linux skills so you can do the 5 minute Hercules install...

Maybe you enjoyed the 600MB download? I just don't get it!!!!

The guys on the mainframe forums like this appliance so much they have pretty well ignored it and created their own appliance with Damn Small Linux, Hercules and MVS-Turnkey.

Note the lack of vmware in there!

This vmware appliance is a joke!

A summary of what's wrong with this appliance:-

1) It's ridiculously big, 606 MB, essentially an entire linux + the relatively small Hercules code.

2) It doesn't (even) have vmware tools

3) It has no Hercules guests installed (such as the turnkey-mvs)

4) It's an attempt at a solution looking for a problem? What problem does it solve? Please answer without the aid of first time posters!!!!

5) Even if it were a reasonable size, 99% of the time, the better way to install Hercules is directly onto the base operating system - Xp or linux.

I deeply resent having to download 600MB to see something that I could have downloaded myslef in much less time and learned far more in setting it up (even though that is quick).

Downloading this appliance give you practically nothing and certainly saves you zero time!

Finally, if you are in that 1% of people who know what they are talking

about in vmware and Hercules terms, and you really wanted to try running

Hercules this way, then here is the real killer, wait for it, cos even cseesup

is gonna understand this one:

If you have vmware, then its odds on you have either a linux or an xp

guest so why the hell would you download another 606 MB guest and

then install vmware tools?!!!! Why wouldnt you spend 5 minutes to

install Hercules on one you already have!!!!!!!

Or even on a clone!

Game over? Or did I miss something!

Hal

0 Kudos
cseesup
Contributor
Contributor

I've either been far too polite or far too subtle.

one can never be too polite. and even if one thought they were, that would not excuse being rude.

I get annoyed when my time is wasted by a big

download that does very little. If this appliace was

any good, I would be using it - yes, really!

we get it. you have an opinion. but, given the current capability of hercules, what would you \*expect* this virtual appliance to do?

I'm just trying to save other people's time. If you

read my comments and still download this appliance

then you deserve to have your time wasted!

well, if you'd rather not spend the time figuring out how to compile it or how to configure it just to have a look, the download may be the way to go.

who wastes their time with downloads these days? hit a button and walk away--it may take a few tries on a slow link, but seeing as how you're on the back nine, it's not really a waste of time. and if you have a broadband connection, you might have just enough time to get a cup of joe.

for the record, i didn't download the appliance, but I do run Hercules \*on* a VM.

Glad you can see the point, shame you need to explain

the obvious to others, running a guest \*under* a host

is commonly used terminology in vmware cirlces as

well as elsewhere!!! Duh!

People familiar with the OSI model know that software runs \*on* hardware, that, currently, virtualization is software, and that anything taking advantage of this software \*layer* would be on top of it.

non-dinosaurs??? Now that's embarassing, even for a

first post.

do you want to explain this one? i'm not embarrassed. are you? it may have been my first post on this forum, but it's not my first post, eh?

OS/370 (Hercules)? Are you saying Hercules=OS/370?

Presumably you mean: running OS/370 or Linux/390 or

z/OS or any other 360/370/390 based operating system

under Hercules, under vmware under Xp or Linux (if

this confuses you, maybe this appliance ain't for

you!).

no, i was just making a parallelism that emulated hardware begets emulated software and I put Hercules in parentheses to point out that which is doing the emulatin'[/i]

i'm not confused. but if you think this appliance isn't worth anyone's time, what is the point of that parenthetical statement?

>The one advantage I do see in doing so, however,

comes from the manageability aspect. Specifically, if

you're already invested in a VMWare infrastructure,

it makes more sense to run Hercules in a VM so you

can shuffle all of your virtual systems around

consistently.

Does it? You find it tough managing and moving

folders around?

yes, it does. and, no, i don't find it tough managing and moving folders around. i just like a consistent way of doing so and so do my tools.

>Further, in the case of managed resource

utilization, it would be imperative to run Hercules

under a VM.

What? Which O/S are you referring to?

it doesn't matter. managed resource utilization from a VM infrastructure perspective reflects the ability to manage the resources any guest os gets to use.

Or do you still think OS/370 = Hercules?

now, exactly how would my thinking have changed from the previous paragraph? i wrote them at the same time.

that's not what i think.

and based on the fact that you presumed otherwise, you never thought i did either.

Read my previous post about IBM's VM/ESA (etc) O/S.

Tried running multiple Hercules instances?

why would a mainframe-based virtual infrastructure be of \*any* significance on this site?

@bahae (another first time caller)

>Agree with the above.

Really? You tried Hercules on its own without

dowloading a massive 600MB shell?

- which doesn't even have vm tools installed!!!!!!! A

lot of work clearly went into this appliance!

that's just disk space. so what. it may not be an important appliance to many, but for some there may be a benefit. if it raises interest in either the vm community or the hercules community, that would be a good thing.

>Also, when you run multiple hercules each within

their own virtual enviroment, you get:

>1. The advantage of VMOTION. i.e being able to move

instances across machines at RUN time

I wonder how many people will do that! perhaps you

and cseeup!!!!

What about licensing concerns? Oh you don't have any,

so you are using Linux/390 with VMotion.

Yeah right.

lack of interest in a capability diminishes not any advantage it may bring. c'mon, we're geeks, wouldn't it be fun to move a mainframe across the pond while it's running without loosing a single transaction?

>2. A hercules instance with a faulty piece of code

could end up consuming excessive resources and

>impact other apps in the same environment. VERY

HARMFUL. with a virtualised hercules instance

>resource consumption is limited.

Of course, happens to me all the time.....

this particular bit of sarcasm went unnoticed by most. don't you think?

don't you see \*any* payoff in being wary about running other people's code on your bare metal?

@deltan

Weve been using this to run Linux 390 with some DB

apps we ported over. Works very nice.

>Thank you and keep up the good work

Why not run your app directly on Linux/Hercules

without vmware? Clearly as a Linux/390 user you have

Linux skills so you can do the 5 minute Hercules

install...

Maybe you enjoyed the 600MB download? I just don't

get it!!!!

we're trying to get the light bulb to turn on...

The guys on the mainframe forums like this appliance

so much they have pretty well ignored it and created

their own appliance with Damn Small Linux, Hercules

and MVS-Turnkey.

Note the lack of vmware in there!

then it's not an appliance, now is it?

This vmware appliance is a joke!

no one is laughing. making implicit accusations and not puting an effort into understanding others' viewpoints doesn't exactly promote a witty atmosphere.

A summary of what's wrong with this appliance:-

1) It's ridiculously big, 606 MB, essentially an

entire linux + the relatively small Hercules code.

2) It doesn't (even) have vmware tools

3) It has no Hercules guests installed (such as the

turnkey-mvs)

4) It's an attempt at a solution looking for a

problem? What problem does it solve? Please answer

without the aid of first time posters!!!!

5) Even if it were a reasonable size, 99% of the

time, the better way to install Hercules is directly

onto the base operating system - Xp or linux.

i agree with all of this. i'm just saying that these shortcomings aren't going to be relevant for everyone.

I deeply resent having to download 600MB to see

something that I could have downloaded myslef in much

less time and learned far more in setting it up (even

though that is quick).

Downloading this appliance give you practically

nothing and certainly saves you zero time!

i really do have to ask again, "what would you \*expect* this virtual appliance to do?"

Finally, if you are in that 1% of people who know

what they are talking

about in vmware and Hercules terms, and you really

wanted to try running

Hercules this way, then here is the real killer, wait

for it, cos even cseesup

is gonna understand this one:

again, i'm not confused.

If you have vmware, then its odds on you have either

a linux or an xp

guest so why the hell would you download another 606

MB guest and

then install vmware tools?!!!!

downloading this or not, running a vm implies running a guest os. sure it can be smaller, but at twenty-five cents per GB of disk, um, what's the problem?

Why wouldnt you spend

5 minutes to

Or even on a clone!

this is a vm site. individually we see unique advantages to running and managing systems in virtual spaces. what you see as taking 5 minutes, appears to many as an os provisioning step followed by an unknown. the download is a measurable and fixed cost. and if you're just looking to get your feet wet, this is a no-brainer.

Game over? Or did I miss something!

everything.

Hal

Bruce

0 Kudos
cseesup
Contributor
Contributor

hang on, I misread something here:

If you have vmware, then its odds on you have either

a linux or an xp guest so why the hell would you download

another 606 MB guest and then install vmware tools?!!!!

downloading this or not, running a vm implies running

a guest os. sure it can be smaller, but at

twenty-five cents per GB of disk, um, what's the

problem?

sorry, I thought you were saying "if you have vmware, then its odds on you have either a linux or an xp [i][b]host[/b][/i][/u] so..."

I didn't notice you switched from bashing the virtualization to bashing the appliance.

Why wouldnt you spend 5 minutes to

Or even on a clone!

this is a vm site. individually we see unique

advantages to running and managing systems in virtual

spaces. what you see as taking 5 minutes, appears to

many as an os provisioning step followed by an

unknown. the download is a measurable and fixed cost.

and if you're just looking to get your feet wet, this

is a no-brainer.

downloading the appliance may remove the initial guess-work. anyone looking to spend cycles fitting hercules into a closely managed environment will probably go another way...

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

ouch, very big bun fight going on here,

virtualisation and mainframes. sounds interesting there would be a preformance issue, but as most mainframes are lpar'd anyway just run multiple hosts. this is not an exercise in mainframe reduction (Hal Styli) a lot of what this section is about is just can it be done. just because you perosnally do not see a use for the appliance does not make it useless.

saileshkrish invested his time and effort into this project for the good of the community and had the good heart to post the appliance. he didn't have to and as such he deserves a bit of respect.

as cseesup said it is not a waste of time to download an appliance just point click and leave. I mean do you sit by your oven to watch your cakes rise?

People have different reasons for doing things and just because it does not rock your boat or you cannot understand the reasoning behind something does not make that wrong, just different.

I feel that the tone on this thread is boardering on the offensive and I think all parties need to sit down and have a drink and relax. the last thing I want to see is this forum going the way of so many others where people are afraid to post anything for fear of being flames by their peer or (not so) betters.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

oh and finally I am a first time poster on this thead but not in this forum.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Hal_Styli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok, i've had a coffee....

I didn't think my post was particularly offensive - relative to Bruce's opening one but hopefully the tone is a bit lower here - still a bit verbose though!

I guess the question "what do you expect an appliance like this to do" says it all. What could anyone expect? It don't do much so its of very limited value.

I don't have a particularly fast internet connection or unlimited download limit, so perhaps I'm more concerned than most about wasted time with downloads.

I don't think creating an appliance of that size without even having vmware tools installed shows much respect for the potential user. It does not suggest much time and effort has been invested in creating it. It saves you a trivial Hercules install and that's it! It's an empty, and yet huge, shell. You could argue that you get a free ubuntu install I suppose.

I think it is valid to question the point of the appliance as well as the implementation, which ain't great. The shortcomings are valid for anyone considering downloading as anyone could achieve the same result with their own install of Hercules.

In the same way that any live-cd could be described as an appliance, Damn Small Linux + Hercules + MVS-Turnkey could be described as an appliance, just not a vmware one - even though it could obviously be run under vmware and you would actually be able to use a real MVS without doing any install of MVS - a genuine saving of a lot of time - so very much worth the download. If the appliance submitted here was a variation of that one, then other arguments aside, in terms of the time saving on installs it would justify the download and actually do something! If you are looking to get your feet wet in Hercules, surely this is the way to go.

It's also valid to point out alternative methods of virtualizing 370/390 operating systems such as VM/ESA (etc) so running multiple guest under VM/ESA in one Hercules as opposed to running multiple Hercules instances or multiple vmware guests running Hercules might be a better way to go.

>if it raises interest in either the vm community or the hercules community, that would be a good thing.

It would if the experience was positive, when I download something that I think is near useless, I tend to lose interest. If downloaders actually get something useful and they feel good about vmware and/or Hercules, then I absolutely agree. However if they get an empty shell and think their time has been wasted and that maybe they should have gone for the turnkey then it woudn't be a good thing.

It is obviously fun to play the geek and experiment with multiple levels of virtualization and discover something new but would you honestly recommend people do it with this appliance or with a 5 minute install on their own vm?

If you feel that the appliance is not great, then finding a potentially interesting way of using it, does not make it any better.

for the record, i didn't download the appliance, but I do run Hercules \*on* a VM.

Bruce, that is amusing! I'm amazed that you haven't bothered to download the appliance and yet you defend it...then again, maybe I'm not: perhaps you really do agree with me - it aint worth the download and surely anyone else considering this appliance should do as you have done, just install Hercules on a vm they already have instead.

Hal

0 Kudos
Hal_Styli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well if everyone else is gonna double post why shouldn't I?!

In response to:

I don't have a particularly fast internet connection or unlimited download limit, so perhaps I'm more concerned than most about wasted time with downloads.

I just received the comment: Well get a faster, bigger pipe you tight bastard!

Which I thought might amuse...

Hal

0 Kudos
cseesup
Contributor
Contributor

In response to:

I don't have a particularly fast internet connection...

I just received the comment:

Well get a faster, bigger pipe you tight bastard!

Which I thought might amuse...

Indeed, that one had me in stitches.

0 Kudos
KenBlake
Contributor
Contributor

Is this appliance still available? I keep getting a connection reset when I attempt to download. If not, is it available elsewhere?

TIA

Ken

0 Kudos
boborama
Contributor
Contributor

OK... I think I might like a turnkey install of a Linux client with Hercules. Problem is.. seems only to be available for download with bit torrent. I am a bit torrent newbie -- but I can follow instructions. I see the wisdom of the "comunity" download/upload strategy. BUT... this torrent seems to have died down. No "swarm" -- one seed and one client.. and I swear the seed must be using a 1500 baud modem. The download rate is abismal. The optimistic estimated time for download was 5 days. So far it's been about 48 hours (2 full days) and I have about 160 MB of aprox 600.

Sometimes the seed machine dissapears entirely for hours. I should be able to download 600 MB in maybe a couple hours. What gives? My initial impression of BitTorrent isn't very high. I'm willing to become a participant in the swarm (uploading as much as I download) -- but this is unbearably slow. At least I can can "resume" an interupted download.

0 Kudos
Hal_Styli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let me get this straight, you've read my highly negative comments in this thread and you still want to download this appliance!? ... and you are having download problems?!!!

Hmm, I wonder what you should do?

Hal.

0 Kudos
JYothers
Contributor
Contributor

Amazingly the Monilithic is even considering a move to x86...

Dodgy turn of events in the topic..

The consideration for useing VMWare as your platform (vs using linux right out and installing Herc) allows for the even more granular divisions of application. Taking in consideration for assemblers and applications dependent licensing is another reason.

Designate one for SAS, another for COBAL (OMG did he say COBAL), another for compuware, etc...

Leaves cycles available for all the other slightly useful reasons to use mainframe.

So I want 100 seperate applications (custom private built), but I only have 20 MEGA x86 servers. Installing Herc directly and multiple apps causes the I/O congestion (that you don't see on MainFrame (reason I'll answer directly)) and balancing I/O threads, and Memory movement are all a pain.

So virtuallize all 100... Now I can move them around on the 20 Mega servers, while they are running(WOWZERS), to optimize performance.

And it didn't take a seasoned 20 veteran of Open Systems hooking up with a 20 year vertran of Mainframe.

OK - off the soap box.

0 Kudos
Ozyank
Contributor
Contributor

I decided to run this appliance for several reasons thinking it had been tested and was more complete in its implementation (lack of VMWare tools or any GUI support) I don't even know if he bothered to included a 3270 client of any sort.

My question is, did anyone actually start it up and see what it does? There were all sorts of configuration error messages when it started. I didn't feel like debugging this so decided to "roll my own".

Because I am travelling and have a Windows XP laptop, I decided it best to VMWare with a Linux guest then run Hercules there only because I have not found a free 3270 program for Windows. I intend to run it under native Linux when I get home so thought I could shortcut my learning curve doing it this way.

0 Kudos
Hal_Styli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you can post to this forum, you should be able to read prior posts and I have stated several times here that VMtools was not installed and that's not the only reason to ignore this appliance. Try reading from the start, you'll get the idea.

I'm not sure if I am more annoyed with the guy who created this useless appliance or with people who don't believe me, get hold of it or try and get hold of it and then, wait for it, complain[/b] that they can't get it or that it doesn't quite meet their requirements! Do I need to put flashing neon signs in here?!

As far as I am concerned this farce has gone on long enough... this excuse for an appliance should be withdrawn and deleted[/b]. The options I have suggested in this forum are much better ways to go.

Yes, one can debate the usefulness or not of the concept of Hercules under vmware. One cannot, however defend the implementation of this appliance at all. It may well rank as possibly the most pathetic vmware appliance ever made available for download[/b].

Is that clear enough for people who can't be bothered to read this forum from the top? I'm trying to save you pain, really I am!

With regard to 3270, I had trouble finding a free 3270 program on either Linux or Windows. I think some that existed were quietly disposed of due to y2k concerns.

Check this one out:[url=http://www.ccs.uottawa.ca/software/tcp3270/index.html]3270[/url]. I have NOT tested this version but I think it is worth a shot. I have a slightly different version but I'm not sure about licensing.

If it works for you please feed back to this forum.

Hal

0 Kudos
NeilBeesley
Contributor
Contributor

I have been considering the requirement to do something similar only the other way around. Virtualization which enables Windows servers to be run on IBM hardware. Especially bearing in mind Windows 2008 Core Server which is command line only. This should reduce the need for real estate when trying to accommodate large numbers of servers as well as having other operational benefits such as total power consumption. The hardware is extremely scalable and cost efficient when dealing with large workloads, so it make sense to consider running such virtualization under z/LINUX (IFL processor) if you intend running very a large number of servers. What's still missing is the component to provide the emulation (opposite way round Hercules). That is enable binary code developed for Intel platform to execute on System Z. Any thoughts...

0 Kudos
itsme2003
Contributor
Contributor

Is this still available for download? I don't see a download link anywhere on the page.

0 Kudos
frankmendes
Contributor
Contributor

me too, help!

0 Kudos