VMware Virtual Appliances Community
p-rro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Licensing question

Hi guys,

I have a question about licensing, I have VMware Workstation with a legal license, I'm going to give a training and I want to create the virtual machines using my vmware workstation and past it to the attendees, the will use vmware player.

There's any problem with that? can I create a base virtual machine and distributed to my student and they can use it without any legal issue.

I think there's no problem because I think that's exactly what happen with virtual appliances, but I want to be sure

Thank for your time

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's not VMWare Workstation and Player that has the licensing issue for you. It's the guest OS in the virtual machine that you're making. If the OS is a Linux distro that can be distributed, then you should be ok, assuming you're within the distro's agreements. (More than likely you will be.)

But if the guest OS is Windows, then there is a very good chance that you are NOT allowed to distribute that copy of Windows. You'd have to speak to a MS rep on the proper license necessary for you to make a distributable copy of Windows. By the lack of freely distributed appliances out there based on Windows, I suspect that this type of licensing is not for the casual user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's not VMWare Workstation and Player that has the licensing issue for you. It's the guest OS in the virtual machine that you're making. If the OS is a Linux distro that can be distributed, then you should be ok, assuming you're within the distro's agreements. (More than likely you will be.)

But if the guest OS is Windows, then there is a very good chance that you are NOT allowed to distribute that copy of Windows. You'd have to speak to a MS rep on the proper license necessary for you to make a distributable copy of Windows. By the lack of freely distributed appliances out there based on Windows, I suspect that this type of licensing is not for the casual user.

0 Kudos
p-rro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you asatoran,

That was what I imagine I will use a free linux distro, but I want to check on the VMWare side

Regards

0 Kudos