VMware Virtual Appliances Community
Daga
Contributor
Contributor

If VMTools were to be expanded, would it still have to be wrapped in a VM?

Would an extremely (in my opinion) handy extension that would work with/like vmtools have to be implemented inside of a distributable VM in order to submit it? What if Windows were targetted with the developed extension? I know that a VM running Windows could not be submitted.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
tysonkey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well you can only use things that aren't Microsoft. E.g. Linux, *BSD, or ReactOS

0 Kudos
bac
Expert
Expert

Daga,

I believe your final submission has to be in the form of a complete VM that is fully redistributable and that does what it is intended to do when powered on. In other words, I don't think you can submit some kind of installer that the user has to install in an existing VM in order to work.

Bear in mind that the idea of the contest is Virtual Appliances -- self-contained VMs that perform a specific function with little to no configuration or hassle on the part of the user. I'm not an expert on the contest rules, but it seems to me that an enhancement to the Tools functionality (while potentially cool and useful) would not qualify as an appliance.

Daga
Contributor
Contributor

OK, thanks. I was fairly certain of this, but wanted to ask just in case I had missed something.

0 Kudos