IPCop 1.4.11

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/391

IPCop 1.4.11 (cvs) firewall, selected add-ons and full VMware Tools integration

0 Kudos
17 Replies
saxa
Expert
Expert

It's really a cute implementation of the IPCop Firewall.

A little proposal to author: the virtual disk size of 8 GB is overdone. The size should be 2 GB max.

If you setup it in the server environment you are probably using the fixed size disks.

It's just my IMHO Smiley Happy

The implementation of VMWare Tools is really excellent!

0 Kudos
beazley_dave
Contributor
Contributor

I am having trouble getting this off the torrent. Can someone please seed?

thanks

0 Kudos
driver4567
Contributor
Contributor

what the ^%&# is the username and password... i figure root or admin... but whats the password.... is it vmwarez

Message was edited by:

sleavitt

0 Kudos
driver4567
Contributor
Contributor

admin

password

sorry i see it now.... on your next go add a txt file that says this

0 Kudos
driver4567
Contributor
Contributor

no it was:

root

password

ahhh, that drove me &*^$ nuts

Message was edited by:

sleavitt

0 Kudos
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership

driver4567

Please watch your language on the forums and would you please edit your language from the other posts. This is a violation of the policies of the forum and speaking for myself and the rest of the moderators we would please like you to refrain that kind of language in the future.

Thank you,

The Forum Moderators

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
baldomero
Contributor
Contributor

1.4.11 is not a stable/release version, it is a developement version, don't even try to use it as a serious firewall, use the 1.4.10 stable version instead please.

0 Kudos
saxa
Expert
Expert

In the production, I think, nobody will use a virtual[/i] firewall. But in virtual environment, as a router, is 1.4.11 OK.

Just my 0.02 $

0 Kudos
atrider
Contributor
Contributor

where is the download file or at least the torrent file? It seems get removed?!

Is it elsewhere?

Thanks

0 Kudos
qr7
Contributor
Contributor

the torrent seems dead.. even with 8 seeds.

can anyone provide an alternative download location?

0 Kudos
P_Floc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I want to put back up this thread because I'm very interested in an alternative download location > does anyone have one image with the vmwaretool integrated?

However if someone have succededto implement the vmwaretool to this distrib. I would very happy to hear how to do this ?

Thank you very much

Pierre - France

Message was edited by:

P.Floc

Message was edited by:

P.Floc

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Just curious, any reason you want or need VMTools for this appliance? I've run IPCOP standalone (not as a VM) and once installed, I've never had to access the console. Administration, logs, etc, all done through a web interface. Thus I'm confused as to what advantage the tools would give you?

Alternately, you could just make your own IPCop VM and install tools yourself. Installing IPCop is extremely simple. Just download from www.ipcop.org. I installed mine in less than 30min.

0 Kudos
P_Floc
Contributor
Contributor

Ipcop is already installed as a vm guest. But I've installed another linux distribution under vmware server and I've notice that the web interface is a bit faster than without wmwaretools installed. Moreover You can also manage backup of your .vmx with a vbscript as soon as the vmwaretools are installed on the guest (with heardbeat function).

PS: However, vmware.com propose a version with vmwaretools inside (see http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/391) and without (see http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/292). It would be better with, no? Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Ultimately, which ever way gets you better performace (with tools or without) then that's what you use. For IPCop, it would be webinterface and NIC thoughput. I'm not sure what the tools would inprove with the web interface except by way of inproving NIC throughput. I don't have any numbers so I really couldn't say which is better for IPCop; with or without.

Interesting that there's two listings for IPCOP. I never noticed that before. So you could download both versions and try them both to see which gives better performace.

But, in perspective, the last time I had IPCop in full production was at a small office with less than 50 employees. I ran IPCop on a spare 433MHz Celeron. No speed demon there. But I had several of these boxes so I made them into firewalls for several remote offices. So I was not really measuring performace. It was a way of getting around the budget limitations. The accountant always like free. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
P_Floc
Contributor
Contributor

Anyway... ok I will put comment with and without vmwaretools ... but the torrent proposed is very very slow (just one source exists for the moment) and it's very hard to reach the source from France. Is there another place where I can download ? Or is there someone who can send me the whole tar.gz ? It would be so kind ...

Thanks

Pierre

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah, getting the torrents is getting harder nowdays, IMO. So it might be faster if you build the VM yourself.

I went onto IPCop's website and they had a link to www.vmwarez.com. I've never tried them but they appear to have a IPCop appliance with VMWare tool installed as a .ZIP download. Use at your discretion.

http://www.vmwarez.com/2006/01/vmwarezcoms-pre-built-vms-for-player.html

0 Kudos
bn80934
Contributor
Contributor

I have 4 IPCOP's setup for my vmware GSX host.

1 for a webserver

1 for email server

1 for internal DMZ

and finally 1 for office PC's to access the internet.

I'm pretty happy with the setup, performance is impacted slightly as compared to bypass the IPCOP, but I'm not going to complain about that. It's about 50% slower based on my initial testing. So my 2 meg d/l rate is cut to about 1 meg when the data comes thru IPCOP.

The only problem I'm having is if I try to update IPCop to a newer version. The patches appear to load but on reboot the system is dead. It won't boot, no error messages...nothing.

Thank goodness these are vm's are easy to copy!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Harold

0 Kudos