VMware Virtual Appliances Community
cruzc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host machine OS doubt?

Hello everyone, this is the first time in the forum.

I'm building my appliance with open software but I have a doubt.

Are there restrictions about the host machine OS used to build the applience?

Can I use Win 2000 (SP4) like host OS to build my appliance with open software?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can use whatever host you want. The beauty of VMware (and other virtualization platforms) is that your guest is isolated from the host. I won't matter if you create your VM using a Windows host or a Linux host - you will be able to run it on a VMware platform hosted on either (or on ESX Server, which does not use a host OS at all!)

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You can use whatever host you want. The beauty of VMware (and other virtualization platforms) is that your guest is isolated from the host. I won't matter if you create your VM using a Windows host or a Linux host - you will be able to run it on a VMware platform hosted on either (or on ESX Server, which does not use a host OS at all!)

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
cruzc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Ken. I am using my host machine with Windows 2000 OS and now I am building my appliance with Linux but I need the team option of VMware.

Would you recommend me a minimum graphical version of Linux becuase I need to use a team but it option implies big files and one rule is an appliance with less than 2 GB?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It doesn't matter how big the host OS is, or what OS it is, because that's not part of the appliance. Only the guest OS matters (and you want that to be small and freely redistributable).