VMware Virtual Appliances Community
VMTN_Admin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Helix Agile Development Virtual Appliance

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/328

Facilitate the use of SVN and Trac for software projects and help them become more agile.

0 Kudos
39 Replies
prabhakar
Contributor
Contributor

Here are the stats including appliances downloaded from VMware. Thanks to Brady Miller for pointing me to the vmware torrents stats page.

\----

Downloads via torrent from VMware: 234

Downloads via torrent from me: 148

Downloads from SF : 49

Total Downloads : 431

Number of Votes : 20

Percent of downloads that voted : 4.64 %

\----

-prabhakar

0 Kudos
igeman
Contributor
Contributor

So first let me say this thing is genius... I tried to get svn work myself without result... with Helix start and enjoy.. it works Smiley Happy

Unfortunatly I can't use port 80 to connect from outside my LAN... Only Port 443 is open

Is it possible to change the port Helix is listining?

I suggest it should be a way to tell the Apache Server to do so?

In which folder is Apache installed?

Thanks a lot

Bye

ige

0 Kudos
greywire
Contributor
Contributor

I like this a lot because I failed miserably at trying to get trac and svn properly installed and configured in windows.

The only problem now, is that I am trying without success to get the webadmin plugin installed.

Can anybody help?

Please?

0 Kudos
elementalBeat
Contributor
Contributor

I'm new user to Linux and VMWare and I have to say I am very impressed so far with the range and quality of some of the appliances. However, there is a bit of a learning curve and I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with a little issue I've encountered.

I recently downloaded the Helix appliance and have found success in getting up and running. I've managed to follow the instructions and even change the port to what I need. I've scrounged for all the documentation I can find and tried everything twice, but I still can't seem to create new users. Can someone please help me with this? I have multiple team members who need to contribute to a project and I want to be able to track changes by developer.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
prabhakar
Contributor
Contributor

What is the webadmin plugin, are you referring to webmin?

0 Kudos
prabhakar
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your feedback. Glad to hear that you like it. You probably found the answer to your q by now, the apache conf files are in /etc. Apologies for the delay in replying to some of the recent postings. I have been very busy with work, as we have a major release in two weeks, and a trade show demo. Am planning on updating this appliance in a few weeks.

-prabhakar

0 Kudos
prabhakar
Contributor
Contributor

Here is a pointer to a nice articles that details what you may be looking for:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/7655/print

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
elementalBeat
Contributor
Contributor

I still can't get it to work properly. Is there any harm in letting all team members use the same login? I know I loose the ability to see who is making changes, but other than that, will subversion function properly?

Is your default config using the Helix system user? If so, can I create another system user with the useradd command to allow access that way? I already tried this and it didn't seem to work either, but as I mentiond I am new to Linux and very easily could have done womething wrong.

0 Kudos
TalusMaximus
Contributor
Contributor

I personaly would not use a single login for every developer, that would maketracking down, who made a specific change later on in the project a nightmare.

I think you may be confusing subversion users with system users (they are not the same), subversion users are managed though the use of the /etc/svn-access.conf file. This is a simple list of users and their passwords and once set up correctly will allow all your devs to checkin/out files under their own identity.

Note: I'm not 100% sure where Helix puts it's svn-access.conf file so you may have to do some searching ... try "[b]locate svn-access.conf[/b]" or failing that "[b]find / -name svn-access.conf[/b]"

0 Kudos
BrunchMonolith
Contributor
Contributor

This is an extremely useful out-of-the-box solution for evaluating TRAC and SVN, however I would advise against using this for real production purposes if you need to store large amounts of code and assets: The hard disk on this VM is formatted to 1Gb, of which about 500Mb is left. This means at an absolute best case you'll only be able to store 500Mb worth of data/assets in the svn repository before you run out of space. If there's to be a future release of this, please increase the VM's disk size to a vaguely useful figure, i.e. 20Gb.

Another issue I've encountered is that the version of sqlite included in this release is very old, about 2 years old now. If you want to set up new trac projects, there will be no problems. However if you have any existing trac projects from another trac installation that you want to import (which most likely will be using a more recent version of sqlite), it's quite tricky: In the end the only solution I could find was to create a fresh new trac project, and use 'sqlite3' to directly import the raw SQL from the old trac project into the newly created trac.db file. Again, if there's an update of this, it would be wise to update the version of sqlite (as well as trac, svn, and any dependencies).

0 Kudos
n8behavior
Contributor
Contributor

i respectfully disagree with increasing the virtual disk size, since it is not needed. i use helix with large projects and files. the trick is to mount an external volume--say at /var/trac and /var/svn. then you can move the Helix VM around as needed and it's still small. this also allows you to drop in a modified Helix appliance on the network and viola...data is still there. that's the beauty of Unix file systems, they span partitions and volumes so you do not have to start with large disks, rather can grown the filesystem as needed.

kind regards,

mike

0 Kudos
n8behavior
Contributor
Contributor

i took the documentation and compiled it into a simple script to create new projects. this sets up a trac project and an SVN module in one go.

#!/bin/bash

\# create a new project in the Helix system. At a minimum this consists of

\# a subversion module and a Trac site.

if \[ -z "$1" ]

then

echo "usage: `basename $0` project_name"

exit 1

fi

\# setup some variables

SVN_ROOT=/var/svn

TRAC_ROOT=/var/trac

PROJECT_NAME=$1

SVN_PROJECT=$SVN_ROOT/$PROJECT_NAME

TRAC_PROJECT=$TRAC_ROOT/$PROJECT_NAME

WORK=~/.$PROJECT_NAME

DB=sqlite:db/trac.db

TEMPLATES=/usr/share/trac/templates

\# create a structure to import

mkdir -p $WORK/branches

mkdir $WORK/tags

mkdir $WORK/trunk

\# create the project in SVN

mkdir $SVN_PROJECT

svnadmin create $SVN_PROJECT

svn import $WORK file://$SVN_PROJECT -m "initial import"

chown -R www-data:www-data $SVN_PROJECT

rm -rf $WORK

\# setup a trac project

trac-admin $TRAC_PROJECT initenv $PROJECT_NAME $DB $SVN_PROJECT $TEMPLATES

chown -R www-data:www-data $TRAC_PROJECT

\# restart apache to pick up the changes

apache2 -k restart

0 Kudos
n8behavior
Contributor
Contributor

this one deletes a project

#!/bin/bash

\# dlete a new project in the Helix system.

if \[ -z "$1" ]

then

echo "usage: `basename $0` project_name"

exit 1

fi

\# setup some variables

SVN_ROOT=/var/svn

TRAC_ROOT=/var/trac

PROJECT_NAME=$1

SVN_PROJECT=$SVN_ROOT/$PROJECT_NAME

TRAC_PROJECT=$TRAC_ROOT/$PROJECT_NAME

\# delete the project in SVN

rm -rf $SVN_PROJECT

\# setup a trac project

rm -rf $TRAC_PROJECT

\# restart apache to pick up the changes

apache2 -k restart

0 Kudos
n8behavior
Contributor
Contributor

this remotely backs up the Helix data. you can run this from any machine that can SSH to the helix machine. it will produce a tarball containing the helix data. WARNING: this tarball will contain the .htaccess user accounts file. becareful where you put his tarball.

i call my helix host 'helix' and the host i back up to is called 'webnative1'. you'll need to change these hosts to mtach your needs.

#!/bin/bash

ts=`date +%s`

ssh helix "tar -czf - /var/trac /var/svn" > helix-data_$ts.tgz && scp helix-data_$ts.tgz webnative1:/disaster_recovery/dr1/tarballs && rm helix-data_$ts.tgz

0 Kudos
prabhakar
Contributor
Contributor

Your changes really make this VM simpler to use and setup. Thanks Smiley Happy

prabhakar

0 Kudos
Briakra
Contributor
Contributor

any idea when a new version of helix will be released?

0 Kudos
toepfer
Contributor
Contributor

Here's a little walkthrough: http://www.geocities.com/toepfer_c/helix/

0 Kudos
prabhakar
Contributor
Contributor

Thats a great walkthrough. Thanks ....

-prabhakar

0 Kudos
sjamess
Contributor
Contributor

How would you go about installing VMware Tools? It looks like the kernel sources have been deleted. Is it safe to do a dist upgrade?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Harv
Contributor
Contributor

Yes!!! a "howto" install the VMTools onto Helix would be very useful indeed.

0 Kudos