FreeNAS

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/168

FreeNAS is a Network-Attached Storage (NAS) server

0 Kudos
13 Replies
picicio
Contributor
Contributor

A pretty nice html administration GUI, but, why should I setup a raid5 storage with no opportunity to (1) be informed of a disk failure and, (2) worst, to rebuild the unit ?

Fabrizio Conte

0 Kudos
prabhakar
Contributor
Contributor

Congratulations for the great work .

Smiley Happy

prabhakar

0 Kudos
shiplake
Contributor
Contributor

This looks very interesting, but where else can I get a copy? Like most people on corporate networks, I can't use BitTorrent.

0 Kudos
Michael_Bender
Contributor
Contributor

Have a look here:

http://www.freenas.org/

under the "Downloads" drop-down menu item.

0 Kudos
OzTEXS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I understand the new version of FreeNAS is now 0.685RC .. will this be available in a VM image soon. I want to upgrade my version to

make use of the PS3 connectivity.

Cheers !!

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

does this do nfs3 over tcp so i can attach it to my virtual esx servers?

0 Kudos
yoda
Contributor
Contributor

Just curious, is there a vmdk available for this or could someone let me know which linux distribution it should be patterned after as a vm if I use the basic iso from freenas? Also, which version would be good to start with?

I don't really want to use the bittorrent thing either.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ferarg
Contributor
Contributor

what happend with tracker?

Since yesterday I have problems to download files from vmware using torrent because "request is not authorized for use this tracker"

0 Kudos
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Easy configuration! I like it! thanks for this appliance!

Celia.-
0 Kudos
kcmjr
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure who else has seen this issue, there are not many comments listed here, I cannot get the config to save to a virtual floppy. The floppy throws errors constantly and unless I attach a real physical floppy it's a no-go. I'm on ESX 3.5 and booting from the live CD of FreeNAS. So far from my experience I dont think I'll be using this appliance. I "may" try a full install but my goal was to boot from the CD image.

0 Kudos

OpenFiler is good too. I'm still looking for an opensource product similar to Lefthand Network's

Being able to stripe all the local storage on ESX hosts into a NAS cluster would be awesome.

If it was useful, give me credit

Jason White - VCP

0 Kudos
ironike
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i download a Freenas and I configure my esx....great i see the iscsi lun but when i create a datastore after few second an error message appear that said:

"Error during the configuration of the host:Cannot open Volume:

/vmfs/volumes/4902c5bd-50cac5dd-c58b-000c29c9180b"

Where is the problem???? this is the last step before to complete my configuration!!!!

I try to connect to iscsi target a Windows XP with Microsoft iSCSI initiator and works fine......

Please help me!!!

Bye

Massimo

0 Kudos
Heinrich_Rebehn
Contributor
Contributor

Same Error here, but not only with FreeNAS but also with the Linux iSCSI target. Is anybody successfully using datastores via iSCSI at all??

0 Kudos