FreeNAS

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/168

FreeNAS is a Network-Attached Storage (NAS) server

0 Kudos
13 Replies
picicio
Contributor
Contributor

A pretty nice html administration GUI, but, why should I setup a raid5 storage with no opportunity to (1) be informed of a disk failure and, (2) worst, to rebuild the unit ?

Fabrizio Conte

0 Kudos
prabhakar
Contributor
Contributor

Congratulations for the great work .

Smiley Happy

prabhakar

0 Kudos
shiplake
Contributor
Contributor

This looks very interesting, but where else can I get a copy? Like most people on corporate networks, I can't use BitTorrent.

0 Kudos
Michael_Bender
Contributor
Contributor

Have a look here:

http://www.freenas.org/

under the "Downloads" drop-down menu item.

0 Kudos
OzTEXS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I understand the new version of FreeNAS is now 0.685RC .. will this be available in a VM image soon. I want to upgrade my version to

make use of the PS3 connectivity.

Cheers !!

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

does this do nfs3 over tcp so i can attach it to my virtual esx servers?

0 Kudos
yoda
Contributor
Contributor

Just curious, is there a vmdk available for this or could someone let me know which linux distribution it should be patterned after as a vm if I use the basic iso from freenas? Also, which version would be good to start with?

I don't really want to use the bittorrent thing either.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
ferarg
Contributor
Contributor

what happend with tracker?

Since yesterday I have problems to download files from vmware using torrent because "request is not authorized for use this tracker"

0 Kudos
CMCC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Easy configuration! I like it! thanks for this appliance!

Celia.-
0 Kudos
kcmjr
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure who else has seen this issue, there are not many comments listed here, I cannot get the config to save to a virtual floppy. The floppy throws errors constantly and unless I attach a real physical floppy it's a no-go. I'm on ESX 3.5 and booting from the live CD of FreeNAS. So far from my experience I dont think I'll be using this appliance. I "may" try a full install but my goal was to boot from the CD image.

0 Kudos
polysulfide
Expert
Expert

OpenFiler is good too. I'm still looking for an opensource product similar to Lefthand Network's

Being able to stripe all the local storage on ESX hosts into a NAS cluster would be awesome.

If it was useful, give me credit

Jason White - VCP

0 Kudos
ironike
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

i download a Freenas and I configure my esx....great i see the iscsi lun but when i create a datastore after few second an error message appear that said:

"Error during the configuration of the host:Cannot open Volume:

/vmfs/volumes/4902c5bd-50cac5dd-c58b-000c29c9180b"

Where is the problem???? this is the last step before to complete my configuration!!!!

I try to connect to iscsi target a Windows XP with Microsoft iSCSI initiator and works fine......

Please help me!!!

Bye

Massimo

0 Kudos
Heinrich_Rebehn
Contributor
Contributor

Same Error here, but not only with FreeNAS but also with the Linux iSCSI target. Is anybody successfully using datastores via iSCSI at all??

0 Kudos