ESX deployment appliance v1.05

https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/products/esx-deployment-appliance-eda

ESX Deployment Appliance (EDA) is a small and easy to use appliance

that makes deploying ESX servers a breeze. It has a very intuitive

web-interface that can configure and deploy dozens of ESX servers in

minutes. It has a script-builder that will allow any admin to create

%post-scripts that will do most anything one needs to get the ESX hosts

up and running! Even if deploying with RDP/Altiris or the UDA, this

script-builder can help setting those up very quickly.

850 Replies
HerwinGGZ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello All,

I run into a problem which i cannot solve. If i use iso VMware-ESXi-5.1.0-799733-HP-5.34.23 there is no problem, I can install an ESX host without any problems, when i start using another (newer) iso ( VMware-ESXi-5.1.0-Update2-1483097-HP-5.66.28-Jun2014 or VMware-ESXi-5.1.0-Update2-2000251-HP-5.68.30-Sep2014) , i get error, the error states: /cd/esx/misc-cni.v00: file not found, Fatal error: 15 (not found)

If i open  the images, (all 3 of them) i see the file mentioned. if i boot from the cd, the host boots fine, only when using EDA its not functioning.

I dont know how to go on with this, so any help is much appreciated!

Best regards,

Herwin

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the errors you see usually means it has an outdated boot.cfg on the webserver, most likely from an other version.

did you import PXE files at every dvd change? that's important because it will read the boot.cfg from the CD and rebuild it so the files can come from a webserver instead.

0 Kudos
HerwinGGZ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

High Brugh,

I dont know what you mean, the only thing i do, is start tthe EDA appliance, mount the vmware iso into the virtual machine drive.

Never updated any pxe file...

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

it's the 3rd option in the top menu of the EDA 'import pxe bootfiles' which you should click at every DVD change. it will do all the work for you Smiley Wink

HerwinGGZ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Brugh!

Thank you! you are a life saver! i knew it was something simple, but this simple is just whaaaaaa...:smileycry::smileycry::smileycry::smileycry::smileycry:

All is working now :smileygrin:

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
brugh2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FYI:

EDA works perfectly for ESX6 deployments still. i'm still looking if there's different scriptable commands for ESX6, Some commands may not be prebuilt into the appliance but all commands are supported as the basic installer runtime is the same in 5.5.

happy deploying Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
abuzze
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a problem using eda with fujitsu 5.5 u2 image. At the end of the installation I get this error:

error.PNG

/tardisks on the server:

tardisks.PNG

I think it is a problem with upper and lower case letters. This script looks for "FTS_Conf.v00", but the file in /tardisks is named "fts_conf.v00".

Any ideas where the filename ist defined?

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you hit the 'import pxe files' from the main screen of the EDA it should fix this automatically. EDA uses the bootfiles from the original media and just changed the source path.

if that fails for some reason, you can manually change /var/www/tftpboot/boot.cfg but keep in mind that will be overwritten once you hit the import button again.

0 Kudos
kadiyalav
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Brugh do you have any plans to support ESXi 6.0 with the appliance

0 Kudos
brugh2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ah, the interface may not say it but 5 and 6 are boot-compatible. 6 works perfectly with the current version of Eda Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
JasonHess
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Did EDA disappear?  The download links I find give 404 errors.  How are people deploying ESX 6.x in large environments these days?

0 Kudos