ESX deployment appliance v1.05

https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/products/esx-deployment-appliance-eda

ESX Deployment Appliance (EDA) is a small and easy to use appliance

that makes deploying ESX servers a breeze. It has a very intuitive

web-interface that can configure and deploy dozens of ESX servers in

minutes. It has a script-builder that will allow any admin to create

%post-scripts that will do most anything one needs to get the ESX hosts

up and running! Even if deploying with RDP/Altiris or the UDA, this

script-builder can help setting those up very quickly.

850 Replies
Zsoldier
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Another request to add to the 1.0 version. See screenshot. Basically a way to have a ESX host script use different ethernet interfaces for their ks device.

Chris Nakagaki (中垣浩一)
Blog: https://tech.zsoldier.com
Twitter: @zsoldier
0 Kudos
SSOVMWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Herco,

It look the whole appliance breaks down. It loses its IP adres.

The whole script is replaced by some html code.

Also the partition table is replaced by some html code.

The problen occures also whith the ESX3.5 CD.

So I went back to version 0.88 of the appliance.

That version workes very well.

No guys around here looking for a new Job.

I am available for a freelance assignment in october.

So if you know something for me...

Best Regards,

Jim Hillebrand

0 Kudos
davismisbehavis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That has worked perfectly thanks, for those looking for the primary download location for the EDA and this OVF file, here's a link as it took me a little while to find it.

0 Kudos
77seb77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Je suis absent jusqu'au 18 Aout 2009. Merci d'ecrire à

ServiceDesk-FR@eads.com.

I am out of the office until August, 18th 2009. Please write to

ServiceDesk-FR@eads.com.

Cordialement, Best Regards,

Sébastien BRIAND

Operations / IMS22 / DataCenter

EADS Defence and Security

MetaPole

1 Boulevard Jean Moulin

CS 40001

78996 ELANCOURT CEDEX

Tel : +33 (0)1 61 38 70 34

Fax: +33 (0)1 61 38 57 16

Email: sebastien.briand@eads.com

0 Kudos
AlexCampos2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi! I just downloaded ESX deployment appliance v0.90, but when I tried to import it to my VMware vSphere console, the following message pops up:

Error: The OVF package cannot be imported on the selected host

Import errors: The hardware family of the OVF package is not supported; vmx-07

I can give the following info:

VMware Infrastructure Client, version 2.5.0 Build 103682

VMware ESX Server 3i, version 3.5.0 Build 110271

What that error means? The VMware ESX Server version is not compatible with the 'ESX deployment appliance v0.90' ? How can I solve this?

Thanks in advance to all of you.

Alex Campos, Costa Rica.

0 Kudos
Funtoosh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes you can not install on ESX3.5 . It should be on ESX4.0

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually you can. Just download the alternate ovf file from the same location as the eva and use that one instead.

0 Kudos
Erik_Vesneski
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am looking forward to using the EDA however it appears the .90 is unavailable as the site is down.....

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

that could well be Smiley Wink we were offline because we moved to another rack in the datacenter. we now have 1GB up/down. should be back online now.

0 Kudos
svenkares
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

ich bin bis einschließlich dem 28.08.2009 nicht im Haus. Meine E-Mail werden nicht weitergeleitet. In dringenden Fällen wenden Sie sich bitte an meine Kollegen.

mfg. Sven Kares

Dear Sir or Madam,

I'm out of office includig the 28.08.2009

Your e-mails are not forwarded. In urgend cases please contact my colleagues.

Kind regards

Sven Kares

0 Kudos
arthurdent78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi,

I can get the eda to work fine with the 3.5 install. However using the 4.0 I am having issues. When loading the drivers it get to mounting the CD and says "no install CD found" or somthing like that. after it loads the drivers it fails because it does not seem to be able to find /dev/sda.

Have you seen this before? I have managed to get around it by building a 4.0 machine then copying the partition bit out of the ks.cfg file. This is not ideal as it has a hash name for the disk which i would imagine is generic for that one server.

any ideas?

0 Kudos
alasdair_carnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi all,

I got 0.9 up and running on a vSphere server (interestingly the interface says v0.88), but I now need to make some custom changes to the ks files. Most importantly I need to ensure that each server has a unique IP address for the iSCSI VMKernel port. My question is how do I get to a command prompt in the new version and where do I find the ks files to edit.

Thanks in advance,

Alasdair...................

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

to edit the ks.php file, which generates the ks.cfg files that esx servers actually use during installation, just press CTRL-F2 at the configuration console screen. you can login with root and the password you set. the file is in /var/www/ks directory.

i would prefer using a script though. i usually cut the 3rd octet from the vmotion IP address and fill in the iscsi network segment. a scriptlet for this is posted a few posts back. i think i'll put that in the scriptlist for the eda as it's not the first time somebody needs that Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

you always get the 'no install cd' is a message when you install a esx4 server unattended. it's not an error, just a message saying it's not using the local cdrom to install. but the error after that is a real one. what kind of system are you trying to install on? is it on the HCL? and i'm not sure what you mean by copying the partition bit out of the ks.cfg file. could you elaborate a bit?

0 Kudos
arthurdent78
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

sorry I didnt explain very well. i have managed to get it to work by changeing the "part" command with the exstention --onfirstdisk.

When it was /dev/sda it just kept on saying it could not find it.

It fine for me using onfirstdisk as i only have 1 logical drive anyway.

Im just playing around with the EDA at the moment so Im using an old dell blade I have. Im pritty sure it wont be on the HCL but it works ok now. I just wanted to raise this incase it was a genuine error and anyone else was effected. It is more than likly to be my hardware so not to worry.

thanks for getting back to me so quickly though. Ill keep playing aroud with it and leave some feed back for you. Smiley Wink

p.s. after selecting my esx server to build and after the drivers are loaded I get

"parted couldn't open device /dev/sda. Skipping LUN."

"No COS NIC's Have been added by the user"

"parted couldn't open device /dev/sda. Skipping LUN."

0 Kudos
alasdair_carnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've had a browse through the post, but can't find the entry for the iSCSI VMKernel script part, could you please post it again, or send it to be?

Best Regards,

Alasdair Carnie

Principal Technologist - Vmware

QA – transforming performance through learning

Witan Court, 294 Witan Gate West, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK9 1EJ

Tel +44 (0) 1908 206700

Email alasdair.carnie@qa.com<mailto:alasdair.carnie@qa.com>

Web www.qa.com

QA works with customers to transform business performance by developing the knowledge, skills and attitude of their people. From individual places on the most comprehensive range of technical, desktop, professional best practice and management & personal development courses, to bespoke learning programmes and an industry-leading Managed Learning Service, QA is dedicated to meeting the extensive learning and development needs of organisations nationwide and across the world.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

QA Ltd. Rath House, 55-65 Uxbridge Road, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1SG.

QA Ltd. is a company registered in England with company registration number: 2413137

0 Kudos
francescog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you know if the appliance (version 0.90) has any compatibility problem with servers like hp blade bl460c?

During the import it says that the VirtualCDrom is not compatible with the server's hardware.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Arrow1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Bonjour, j'anime une formation cette semaine avec un accès limité à ma messagerie.Cdlt.

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential, intended solely for the use of the addressee, and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution or other dissemination or use of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have mistakenly received this e-mail, please notify us immediately and then delete this e-mail from your system. This e-mail sent to and from our company is professional in nature and may be monitored to ensure compliance with internal policies and to protect our business. This e-mail does not constitute a commitment by Distrilogie, unless it contains an express statement to the contrary from an authorized representative. This e-mail and its transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error free as they can be intercepted, corrupted, amended, lost or destroyed, arrive late, or contain viruses. Distrilogie or its affiliated entities are in no way liable for any errors or omissions in the content of this e-mail. Thank you.

Regards Bernard
0 Kudos
SSOVMWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

tot maandag 21 september 2009 ben ik afwezig. Voor dringende zaken kunt u contact opnemen met onze Helpdesk 070-3511001

0 Kudos
SSOVMWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ik ben afwezig vanaf 28 augustus 2009. Op 14 september a.s. ben ik weer beschikbaar. Voor dringende zaken kunt u terecht bij de Helpdesk.

0 Kudos