ESX deployment appliance v1.05

https://solutionexchange.vmware.com/store/products/esx-deployment-appliance-eda

ESX Deployment Appliance (EDA) is a small and easy to use appliance

that makes deploying ESX servers a breeze. It has a very intuitive

web-interface that can configure and deploy dozens of ESX servers in

minutes. It has a script-builder that will allow any admin to create

%post-scripts that will do most anything one needs to get the ESX hosts

up and running! Even if deploying with RDP/Altiris or the UDA, this

script-builder can help setting those up very quickly.

850 Replies
rnotaro
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, but how would that affect just trying to deploy it with Workstation all over my VM network?

0 Kudos
racerzer0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We're using Cisco switches and HP Blades...

Switch config is pretty much the same... difference is:

I have spanning-tree portfast not spanning-tree portfast trunk. And I have VLANs specified.... switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,886,887....

0 Kudos
DCTony
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've already looked at that page. I removed the clear part line of the KS, but it still seems to have removed the partition.

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

well you could just capture the parition and dump it back in the %post script with 'dd' or something. never had any use for those partitions myself and was always glad to be rid of them Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
johnwilk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

racerZer0,

I had a similar problem. In my environment we are using Intel Blades, DL380s and Cisco switches configured as a stack. We have a multi-VLAN configuration and I had trouble even getting a dhcp helper configured on the Cisco stack (Its in a remote datacentre).

What I ended up doing was deploying the EDA Appliance to local storage on one of the Blades that was connected to the same switch as the target ESX Host......worked a treat as all disks are configured on appliance as /dev/sda.

I have a second EDA Appliance configured to use /dev/cciss/c0d0 for the DL380s - Again locally stored on an ESX host connected to the switch local to the target host.

I can now quickly image both platforms to a set standard build Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
racerzer0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was able to get my switch config worked out several days ago.. the appliance is working great!

However, I have a new site.. so new instance of the appliance and I set it up the same... but now after getting the PQR screen and selecting the server profile, I get the error:

Could not find kernel image: vmlinuz

Any ideas? I have re-downloaded my ESX iso image thinking it was bad... and double check the other parameters...

0 Kudos
racerzer0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm all set.. corrupt image again.

One thing that is nice with our new implemenation is the use of HP virtual connect enet switches... makes for providing an untagged vlan amongst tagged vlans very easy.

0 Kudos
solgae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I noticed that on the virtual appliance website, there is supposed to be version 0.87 out, but clicking on download points to your website which still has 0.85. Any comments?

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ah, yes, i was planning to release that last weekend but havent gotten around it yet. i hope it'll be up real soon.

0 Kudos
svenkares
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

really , really great stuff, thank you. I have got a question regarding the appliance.

1.) Can you give me a quick overview of "Variables" available. I know there is a Variable ###HOSTIP### which gives me the IP of the VMotion Interface. Are there more available in the scripting section ? I need the Service Console IP.

thanks

Sven

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

in the 'manage scriptparts' page is a small help button that shows the variables you can use. but it doesn't specifically have a variable for the deployed server in that sense. the only one really is the vmotion IP.

but since the machine is up and running once it gets to the actuall %post processing, you can just add a line to get the IP address from the machine itself. try something like:

IP=$(ifconfig vswif0 | grep inet | awk '{print $2}'|cut -c 6-)

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ok guys! i finaly got around appliancicing (nice verb Smiley Wink) the latest version. download it from http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1216. new in this release: a couple of new features, some bugfixes, and a new access page to the filesystem; just go to http://appliance/eda/fs.php. this will allow small updates without having to download the whole thing again.

have fun!

0 Kudos
solgae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just tried the update version, and I can't get EDA to recognize the mounted ISO. The message still says CD not mounted. Any comments?

0 Kudos
brugh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hm, strange you still have problems. what ISO exactly are you trying to mount. and how did you setup your VM. did you import it through workstation or virtualcenter? it's an OVF that in my experience works quite well, especially with the converting of disks and cdrom settings.

0 Kudos
svenkares
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

i experienced the same problem. After importing the the ovf File in Workstation 6.5 i did not have a cdrom. i added a cdrom and then changed the configuration to use an iso file. After bootup no cdrom was mounted.

Then i shutdown the image, deleted floppy and cdrom and applied the config. Right after that i added again a cdrom and choose directly the (esx update 2) iso file and applied th config. After next boot the cdrom was mounted.

It is strange but it worked for me, maybe for you too.

regards Sven

0 Kudos
solgae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I imported to Workstation, and I mounted the ESX 3.5 U3 ISO. When I imported the OVF, the CD-ROM wasn't present in the VM, so I had to add it manually.

FYI - this is the first time I had this issue.

0 Kudos
solgae
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I imported the appliance again and added the cdrom before powering on. Now it recognized the ISO just fine. Strange.

0 Kudos
smudger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Probably a real stupid question but how do I enable remote ssh to the appliance? I checked the sshd_config and it looks as if it should be enabled but I'm getting connections refused from a remote macine.

thanks!

0 Kudos
franc1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is the PermitRootLogin set to yes ?

In my case (using mRemote) I had touse ssh2 to make it work too.

Good luck

0 Kudos
smudger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, Yes it is... I've tried with telnet on port 22 and filezilla, all get connection refused.

0 Kudos