VMware Virtual Appliances Community
andy_mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESVA 1.6

This is the forum to discuss ESVA 1.6 matters.

VMTN Appliance listing: http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/542

-Andy

0 Kudos
118 Replies
andy_mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Shamrock,

Does the user have a similar problem when using the spam-release url in the notification?

I would blacklist the email address or domain rather than the ip of where it's coming from. It seems that IMSS is doing strange things to headers so that all mail appears to originate from it... Weird.

-Andy

0 Kudos
andy_mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh yeah - if you want to create a list for an entire domain, only put the last bit in the filter (to the right of the @). If you want a rule that applies to all domains, use the word default in the domain field.

e.g. to block all messages from spam.com to all your domains:

to: (@)default

blacklist

Make sense???

-Andy

0 Kudos
andy_mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

restart postgrey:

service postgrey restart

netstat -a|grep 60000

should give output like:

\[root@mail-gw ~]# netstat -a|grep 60000

tcp 0 0 mail-gw.xxxxx.c:60000 \*:* LISTEN

Also try to start it manually if there is no output from the netstat command:

\[root@mail-gw ~]# postgrey --inet 60000

2006/11/01-02:07:43 postgrey (type Net::Server::Multiplex) starting! pid(24231)

Binding to TCP port 60000 on host localhost

Setting gid to "99 99"

Setting uid to "95"

Do ctrl-c to kill it.

-Andy

-Andy

Message was edited by:

andy.mac

0 Kudos
rooter_c
Contributor
Contributor

???

ERROR: can't open lock file: /var/spool/postfix/postgrey/postgrey.lock

0 Kudos
cpope
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Same here. I have tried changing permissions on the lock file to 777 and still no good. Not sure why it says it can't access that lock file.

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Same here. I have tried changing permissions on the

lock file to 777 and still no good. Not sure why it

says it can't access that lock file.

If I were to hazzard a guess, I'd say it's becaues postgrey is running. Try stopping/killing postgrey and the lock file should be modifiable

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
bchau1
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm. tried the manual process to start postgrey and got the same error too.

Binding to TCP port 60000 on host localhost

Setting gid to "99 99"

Setting uid to "95"

ERROR: can't open lock file: /var/spool/postfix/postgrey/postgrey.lock

Thanks in advance for all the help again.

0 Kudos
rooter_c
Contributor
Contributor

Got it going, excuse my Linux ignorance if this is all wrong, I changed the postgrey service to start up as root by adding it as an option

I used webmin interface System....Bootup and Shutdown.....postgrey.

prog=postgrey

postgrey=/usr/sbin/$prog

DBPATH=/var/spool/postfix/postgrey

SOCKET=$DBPATH/socket

OPTIONS="--inet=127.0.0.1:60000 --user root"

and it starts the service ok. Something to do with permissions.

0 Kudos
bchau1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi got it working with running postgrey as user root. Thanks rooter_c for the suggestion!

0 Kudos
bchau1
Contributor
Contributor

Also, not sure why this is occuring but my incoming emails get the mailscanner headers appended in the content of the message. How do I not have it appended here. Here's a snippet of what gets appended:

X-dimension web-MailScanner-ESVA-Information: Please contact the ISP for more information X-dimension web-MailScanner-ESVA: Found to be clean

X-Spam-Status: No

This is in the body of the message at the beginning of incoming emails.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
LogIQ
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thx!

I will follow your development closely, you are man!

Also I have a suggestion, although I have no idea how to accomplish it. It would be great if you could publish a patch or an upgrade for easy upgrade of existing users.

I have another issue also, may be a bug...

When releasing a message with MailWatch, it is possible to report to Pyzor and Razor network, but I get the following error:

SpamAssassin: \[10419] warn: reporter: pyzor report failed: reporter: exited with non-zero exit code 1, \[10419] warn: reporter: razor2 report failed: No such file or directory report requires authentication

\- Ulrich

0 Kudos
andy_mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can't be sure, but I think you need to register your ESVA VM with Razor etc. I will make a note and try to get some procedure together at some stage - I am super busy at the moment...

-Andy

0 Kudos
andy_mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ouch... Not keen on running as root...

One other thing that I did to get it working on the gold VM was:

chown postgrey:nobody /var/spool/postfix/postgrey/postgrey.lock

then set the user back to postgrey

You could also try deleting the lockfile and restarting postgrey... Let me know how you get on - it could save me some bandwidth from re-downloads...

Andy

Message was edited by:

andy.mac

0 Kudos
griff158
Contributor
Contributor

Andy,

the root solution worked for me to, but i share your concern.

chown postgrey:nobody of the postgrey.lock didn't resolve the issue alse deleting postgery.lock didn't resolve it.

Have you got any more thoughts?

0 Kudos
LogIQ
Contributor
Contributor

I share griff158's experience

\- Ulrich

0 Kudos
andy_mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK - Then the sensible solution is to re-download. The new version on the website is working - I set all the permissions to the same as 1.5 and it all starts up OK as service as well as interactively.

Sorry if a re-download is a hassle...

The new version should be 1.6.4.6 and should display this on the console when it boots as well as the VM name being set to this.

I'll update the website tonight to reflect the change and to explain the problem (permissions).

-Andy

Message was edited by:

andy.mac

0 Kudos
robert_perry
Contributor
Contributor

Andy,

This product is awesome. I have downloaded the new build and it works as expected. I have a question about outbound traffic from the ESVA system. I have it installed behind a firewall that is blocking all traffic, unless explicitly allowed. This said, can you tell me ALL the ports that will need to be allowed, and what they are used for? I have yet to configure the outbound email, but assume that will only need smtp allowed. I have internal DNS servers for name resolution.

Once again. Great job on this project.

bob

0 Kudos
llastr1
Contributor
Contributor

Andy,

Great job on this!! I love the new mailwatch features. This is a great product!! I am downloading the latest build I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to export/import settings to go from one build to the next. My linux knowledge is very limited so any help is greatly appreciated.

Lee

0 Kudos
LogIQ
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to know that too...

I know that I need the MailScanner and the Postfix configuration files, and also the rules folder and the mapping file.

Actually I think you could just copy the entire MailScanner and Postfix folders which are in /etc/ and then replace those in the new installation, is that correct?

But what about the Mailwatch configuration, that is stored in a database somewhere, how to export/import that.

\- Ulrich

0 Kudos
llastr1
Contributor
Contributor

Ulrich

What is the easiest way to get those files out of there and import them to the new setup? Im a real Linux newbie so if you can give me some specific step by step instructions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Lee

0 Kudos