VMware Virtual Appliances Community
andy_mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESVA 1.6

This is the forum to discuss ESVA 1.6 matters.

VMTN Appliance listing: http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/542

-Andy

0 Kudos
118 Replies
emporio
Contributor
Contributor

Thx Andy,

I am downloading it right now. I tried US link but i am getting an error: the page can not be displayed. UK is working

-emp

0 Kudos
andy_mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cheers - I haven't asked the owner of the mirror to update yet...

Hopefully this should be working in a day or so.

Let me know what you think of 1.6

-Andy

0 Kudos
emporio
Contributor
Contributor

Andy,

Unfortunately I was not able to import ESVA 1.6 to my ESX server. I was able to start it in VM Player but not in ESX server. I copied the files to my ESX server, imported it using vmkfstools, created new VM machine. It starts to boot and than when it gives me an error:

Unable to find volume group “VolGroup00”

ERROR: /bin/lvm exited abnormally with value 5 ! (pid 320)

Creating rood device

Mounting root filesystem

Mount: error 6 mounting ext3

Switching to new root

ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!: 2

I am not so good with linux to fix this. Odd thing is it booted just fine in VM player. I probably was me . Was anyone else able to import it to ESX?

I tried several times and i always got same error

-emp

0 Kudos
cpope
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I just booted it up fine in ESX. Most likely you created it with the default scsi adapter of LSILogic. This image uses a Buslogic Scsi controller. You can also just upload the image the easy way now with the new VM Importer, that worked for me. You need to be on VI3 though.

0 Kudos
robert_perry
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone had issues getting this to work behind a PIX firewall? I have it running in a VMPlayer session and can send email through it, once configured to my internal domain. If I try to do the same from outside my local subnet, it gives me either "command not implemented" or a "450 server configuration error". The 450 is from outside the PIX. The command not implemented is from another subnet, connected via IPSEC tunnel. I love the product and have been using the older version for quite a while now. I am mostly looking for more reporting and also offloading some of the administration to the users.

Great product though.

bob

0 Kudos
emporio
Contributor
Contributor

You are right it was lsi Smiley Sad, i created new Vmachine with bus and it booted just fine.

thx

cpope

0 Kudos
cpope
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can anyone post instructions on how to set up ESVA to deliver mail locally to itself. Whenever I try to set this up, I get a configuration invalid because postfix is trying to connect to localhost on port 60000. I assume I have something wrong with the mail transport.

I would love to get this working as a single appliance for both the Spam/Security as well as the mail repository for POP3.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DaleMontgomery
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing a similar problem when testing from outsite the LAN...

Oct 31 00:06:04 mx1 postfix/smtpd\[2151]: warning: connect to 127.0.0.1:60000: Connection refused

Oct 31 00:06:04 mx1 postfix/smtpd\[2151]: warning: problem talking to server 127.0.0.1:60000: Connection refused

Oct 31 00:06:05 mx1 postfix/smtpd\[2151]: warning: connect to 127.0.0.1:60000: Connection refused

Oct 31 00:06:05 mx1 postfix/smtpd\[2151]: warning: problem talking to server 127.0.0.1:60000: Connection refused

Oct 31 00:06:05 mx1 postfix/smtpd\[2151]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from cpe-24-165-101-58.cinci.res.rr.com\[24.165.101.58]: 450 Server configuration problem; from=

I was able to get the previous version (ESVA 1.5) working, but no luck on this one yet.

0 Kudos
rooter_c
Contributor
Contributor

Me too!

Oct 31 10:50:17 localhost postfix/smtpd\[5158]: warning: connect to 127.0.0.1:60000: Connection refused

Oct 31 10:50:17 localhost postfix/smtpd\[5158]: warning: problem talking to server 127.0.0.1:60000: Connection refused

Oct 31 10:50:18 localhost postfix/smtpd\[5158]: warning: connect to 127.0.0.1:60000: Connection refused

Oct 31 10:50:18 localhost postfix/smtpd\[5158]: warning: problem talking to server 127.0.0.1:60000: Connection refused

Oct 31 10:50:18 localhost postfix/smtpd\[5158]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from someserver: 450 Server configuration problem; from=.....somebody to=

Oct 31 10:50:19 localhost postfix/smtpd\[5158]: disconnect from \[someserver]

0 Kudos
andy_mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is postgrey running?

service postgrey start

If you have done some configuration of mailscanner with webmin, i'm not 100% confident that it restarts the services correctly when it says it has. To be sure -

service MailScanner restart

-Andy

0 Kudos
rooter_c
Contributor
Contributor

There is definitely something screwy with postgrey, I started the service manually but still no go.

Oct 31 12:21:06 spamsrv postgrey\[4804]: Process Backgrounded

Oct 31 12:21:06 spamsrv postgrey\[4804]: 2006/10/31-12:21:06 postgrey (type Net::Server::Multiplex) starting! pid(4804)

Oct 31 12:21:06 spamsrv postgrey\[4804]: Binding to TCP port 60000 on host 127.0.0.1

Oct 31 12:21:06 spamsrv postgrey\[4804]: Setting gid to "99 99"

Oct 31 12:21:06 spamsrv postgrey\[4804]: Setting uid to "95"

It looks like it starts but i can't see the port with netstat (I'm not sure on the switches though, not linux expert)

I bypassed postgrey in postfix config;

\# smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient,reject_unknown_recipient_domain,

permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination,check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_access,check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:60000

and it delivered fine.

Message was edited by:

ken.cline@hp.com to narrow the display. I split the "reject" between "domain," and "permit_" - it should be just one line

0 Kudos
griff158
Contributor
Contributor

Robert,

I'm getting the same 450 server config error from outside my network. Have you had any luck in resolving this problem?

0 Kudos
robert_perry
Contributor
Contributor

No, not yet. I have poked around with it a little bit, but, do not want to change too much from the defaults. Since the earlier version works so well for me.

I went back through the install guide, and can not find anything that I may have missed.

Can you tell me what your network configuration looks like? I am just curious how everyone else has been able to implement this. Unless they are not using a similar configuration to ours.....

bob

0 Kudos
griff158
Contributor
Contributor

Bob,

My setup is firewall -> pat port 25 to vm esva 1.6 (bridged setup). So very basic. This week i'm goning to investigate furher because grey listing is a very nice feature.

Maarten

0 Kudos
robert_perry
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Is it the greylisting that is causing this error? Also, your configuration sounds similar to mine. Have you got the 1.6 to work at all, from outside? Or, is everything failing with that error?

bob

0 Kudos
griff158
Contributor
Contributor

It's works, i commented out in main.cf.

\# smtpd_recipient_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_recipient,reject_unknown_recipient_domain,

permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination,check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_access,check_policy_service inet:127.0.0.1:60000

Just like rooter_c suggested

Message was edited by:

ken.cline@hp.com to narrow the display. I split the "reject" between "domain," and "permit_" - it should be just one line

0 Kudos
Shamrock
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andy

Love your work!

I'm very enthousiastic about the new Mailwatch-feature however I do have 2 problems with it.

My smtp traffic arrives at a webserver in my DMZ that has Trend Micro's IMSS installed. Before you came up with ESVA all mails were relayed to my Exchange server on the intranet directly. So now my Webserver sends al mail to ESVA which in turn relays to my exchange. So far so good; All mails that should arrive, do. When I open Mailwatch and look at the quarantine-list, they're all there but when I try to release a message I get : "Result Messages: Release: message released to xxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx Error: N" but nothing happens.

My second problem has to do with blacklisting. When I try to blacklist a message, the IP-adres of my webserver is blacklisted and not that of the original sender and obviously blocking my webserver would block all my mail.

I hope you can point me in the right direction 'cause I'm really anxious to use it.

0 Kudos
bchau1
Contributor
Contributor

HI Andy,

First, thanks for this great vm appliance. 1.5 worked great. I updated to 1.6 but postgrey doesn't seem to work or may be broken. I start up the service but when I run a status of it, it says, postgrey dead but subsys locked

Hope you can help find out why postgrey isn't working.

Thanks for all the great work!

0 Kudos
yjchung
Contributor
Contributor

Postgrey is crashing at startup. It's not a port issue as far as I can tell. I even tried to start it using sockets and still doesn't start. Guess I'll have to have 1.5.1 running until this is resolved.

I'm gonna try to reinstall postgrey later today and see what happens.

0 Kudos