VMware Virtual Appliances Community
Dallas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Demo WRKSTN Expire Date?

During the signup for the challenge, it said that I would receive an email with a demo license that could be used until the end of the challenge. However what I received says it is good for 30 days. Can I just assign a new number each month? I would think that you do not want people to be able to do that.

I have a licensed version of WKSTN 5.5 so I am not to worried about it, but I am using the demo on a test machine that I will not be sad, if it is destroyed. I forsee a series of mass destructions/changes/rebuilds of this machine before this is finished.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bac
Expert
Expert

During the signup for the challenge, it said that I

would receive an email with a demo license that could

be used until the end of the challenge. However what

I received says it is good for 30 days. Can I just

assign a new number each month? I would think that

you do not want people to be able to do that.

Yes, I'm pretty sure we strongly discourage "repeat evaluators". Smiley Happy If you need it longer than 30 days, I would suggest you either buy a copy of Workstation, or use VMware Server, which will also let you create new VMs and is free. Of course, VMware Server lacks a few of Workstation's advanced features (like multiple snapshots) which you might find useful for creating your appliance.

I have a licensed version of WKSTN 5.5 so I am not to

worried about it, but I am using the demo on a test

machine that I will not be sad, if it is destroyed. I

forsee a series of mass destructions/changes/rebuilds

of this machine before this is finished.

Oh, well if you already own a copy of Workstation then you should be fine; just use your licensed copy. I don't see why you'd need to destroy your host[/i] machine as a result of building your appliance VM; the changes you make should only affect the VM itself, right?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There's supposed to be a 90-day evaluation license available during the contest; we want everyone to be able to participate in the contest without having to pay for Workstation even if they're not already a customer, and I'm pretty convinced that Workstation is the best tool for creating VMs for the contest (Server is great and all, but it's in beta, and Workstation is in stable release, plus the snapshot support in Workstation is probably more useful for the contest than the remote management support in Server).

If we're giving out 30 day licenses still, that seems wrong.

That said, I've gotta agree with Ben; I don't see how you'd destroy your host while messing around with VMs for the contest. That's one of the cool things about VMs.

0 Kudos
bac
Expert
Expert

There's supposed to be a 90-day evaluation license

available during the contest; we want everyone to be

able to participate in the contest without having to

pay for Workstation even if they're not already a

customer, and I'm pretty convinced that Workstation

is the best tool for creating VMs for the contest

(Server is great and all, but it's in beta, and

Workstation is in stable release, plus the snapshot

support in Workstation is probably more useful for

the contest than the remote management support in

Server).

Agreed on all counts. Workstation is definitely the best tool for the job, and a 90-day eval would be great. I just didn't realize that we had modified our standard eval period for the contest; it looks to me like the contest page points people to the standard Workstation eval page, which still claims 30 days is the eval period.

We should look into this internally.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hmm, we should be giving out 90-day keys. I will look into it.

-Srinivas

0 Kudos
Dallas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply's. I thought an explination might be warranted for the destruction/reconfiguration of a test machine.

I have changed from a win2k to Fedora 4, then finally to a RHE4 host os. Win2k has given me numerous lockups with Linux clients, I then went to Fedora not even thinking it was not supported, so I finally went to RHE4. So far I have started this machine over twice. I have also changed from SCSI drives to an EIDE, SCSI is cool until you have to listen to them for a while.

So reconfiguring may be an ongoing issue with my new "Secret Sauce Server." As any tech will tell you, "If you work on something that is not broken, it soon will be."

0 Kudos