VMware Virtual Appliances Community
Dallas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Commercial software to run?

A request for clarification:

A VM that streamlines a commercial application, that the user must own.

YES or NO????

The VM I have developed needs a commercial application in order to be used. (I did not think it through) I would supply a copy of the application if needed for testing, as long as I can get it back. In server mode it does not require a license, which is how the VM runs it. However, they(The Developer) are still laughing at my request to include the server files with this VM.

I figure that this will this kill my chance at the prizes?

If it does then I am going to try and sell copies. If that fails I will post it somewhere for download, I have several 100 hours into this and would like to see someone use it.

My VM automates everything, boot it up put in the cd and boom your done. I have about 10 pages of web help in the VM, complete with pictures, faqs, possibility of future web updating and real help in trouble shooting. It has been beta tested by some close friends and some people that should not be allowed to own a computer with positive results.

Thanks

I think I am going to be sick...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

If the server components do not require a license, can you automate the download from the developer's site? This is the case with things like bginfo - to include it in your images, you have to pay an INSANE license fee, but if your image includes a first-boot task that downloads the app from the developer, you're good to go...

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
Dallas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, you can not download the server software, it is only distributed on a cd or dvd.

Some Linux (non-GPL) binaries are downloaded when the VM is booted up the first time, with the user agreeing to the user agreement.

I chose to do this project because there was so many copies of this software out there and how much of a pain it is to configure. I thought for sure the company would see it as free advertisement for there product. However, they did not see it my way, although forcefully polite, asked me not to include it. I won't include anything with a restrictive license...

Thanks

0 Kudos