VMware Virtual Appliances Community
samwyse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone still here?

Now that the contest deadline has passed, I've got a few questions for the participants. It's possible that VMware will report some of this, but in case they don't...

Did anyone's entry boot from an .iso instead of a .vmdk?

Did anyone use more than one .vmdk for their VM?

Did anyone use nonpersistent disks?

Did any submissions use multiple VMs?

Would anyone's submission fit on a floppy? A 128-MB USB device? 256-MB?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jettm
Contributor
Contributor

Booted off an .iso, did not even have a .vmdk, no hard drive in the VM at all. 2.7MB total download, .iso would get close to fitting on a 1.68MB floppy, but not quite.

0 Kudos
flame_
Contributor
Contributor

Impressive size, what did you fit into 2.7MB ?

I got down to 9.2MB download, that includes a web server with PHP & SQL, plus custom applications. So that will fit nicely on any USB stick.

It is only uses 1 VM, but it creates new VMs from within itself.

--

flame

0 Kudos
Dallas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I posted my breakout already. Just waiting to see if it is disqualified. Mine was 200 megs, so far on the list it is the largest download I know of.

0 Kudos
jleohner
Contributor
Contributor

I did not use multiple VM's, however with one Solaris 10 installation I created 4 seperate Sol 10 servers under one VM installation. The Global zone hosts 3 systems for a tiered web deployment. Web, App, and DBA.

lol on the size. Mine was 1956 mb compressed.......

0 Kudos
jettm
Contributor
Contributor

Transparent bridging firewall with bandwidth control, configured with a VB app outside the VM. The VB app builds the ISO for the VM to boot off of. Configure with the VB app, build the ISO, reboot the VM... 2.7MB download.

Sound cool?

0 Kudos
flame_
Contributor
Contributor

VB app? like, visual basic app? That's not going to run on my Linux box is it?

Other then that it does sound interesting, and at 2.7MB I would definitely download it and have a look.

I used an automated ISO build system to build an install CD ISO for my appliance. I boot a clean VM from the ISO, run the install script, close the VM & zip it up (without the ISO) for distribution. So that gives me another question for everyone;

How did you build your VM? Did you install an OS into the VM then configure it? or did you build an installer and install the finished appliance into a clean VM? or did you do something entirely different?

--

flame

0 Kudos
emockler
Contributor
Contributor

Mine is a 45 mb download, with 2 iso's so you can choose which to use for the vm, which is included, but is very small and only configured to run the LiveCD. each iso is like 23mb, and is already compressed. it runs in player, server, or workstation. Intended for an xp box but would probably work on linux. Once the iso was finished I created a vm to run boot from it.

0 Kudos