VMware Virtual Appliances Community
daniel_uk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

100k Competition

Hi,

If anyone is interested in having a discussion about possible ideas to enter the competition with then please provide an email address so we can get some ideas going.

I am full of ideas but know NOTHING about programming etc.

Dan

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AMcCreath
Commander
Commander

It's a fore-gone conclusion that the winner will be the person who gets the xbox 360 to run as a virtual appliance!!

:smileygrin:

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

Now there's even a new forum dedicated to this challenge:

Ultimate Virtual Appliance Challenge Discussion

Lars

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

I have ideas but I'm sure they are lame in comparison to what will likely be winning material. Besides, I wouldn't know how to package all the components and make it work since I'm not a programmer either. I am jealous though. Someone(s) is going to make a nice chunk of money and major kudos/props from the community. I still can't believe how much prize money is being awarded for this. Whoever it was that mentioned XBOX appliance hacking - that's the type of genius that this is going to take, maybe more, which I do not have the background or the time for.

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

There you said it. Time[/b]. I think that may be a key issue for a lot of people here who are also having a requirement of a Real Life(tm).

Lars

0 Kudos
sherold
Expert
Expert

For 100K, I'll give up my life for 3 months :-). Too bad it isn't guarenteed. And I don't think XBox fits under the "Open Source" requirement of the contest... I don't think M$ will like that too much. Same goes for OSX hacking or a virtual DVD library. All the GOOD ideas are things we can't "legally" do.

Scott

-Scott ________________________ http://www.vmguru.com http://www.thevesi.org
0 Kudos
bac
Expert
Expert

And I don't think XBox fits

under the "Open Source" requirement of the contest...

I don't think M$ will like that too much. Same goes

for OSX hacking or a virtual DVD library.

I assume the poster above was joking, but yeah, anything that involves copyrighted material or anything you don't have distribution rights to is not allowed. XBox and OS X would both definitely be disallowed.

0 Kudos
anoop
Contributor
Contributor

lets not forget that its 2GB limit. compressed or not.

whens that last time you were able to get anything M$ to be less than 2GB?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

FYI - a minimal functional Windows XP starts at 35MB

0 Kudos
Alessandro_Peri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A complete, not tailored, Windows XP virtual machine has a size of around 800Mb.

Alessandro Perilli, CISSP, MVP

IT Security and Virtualization Technology Analyst

http://www.alessandroperilli.com

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alessandroperilli

Blogging about IT Security on http://www.securityzero.com

Blogging about Virtualization on http://www.virtualization.info

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>whens that last time you were able to get anything M$ to be less than 2GB?

In addition to the above 2 posters, the installation media for everything up to even XP and 2003 Server is all on 1 CD-ROM! Almost all of the latest Linux bloatware distributions are coming on 3, 4, even 5 CDs!!! All my MS VMs are on virtual disks of 2-6 GB. Most of my newer Linux VMs are on virtual disks of 8-10 GB. Now, granted, this is with most packages installed... but I'm trying to make a point of comparison here.

0 Kudos
tysonkey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to run the Xbox 360 as a VM using VMware's products, for the simple reason that the Xbox 360 is using a PowerPC CPU, as opposed to an i386 based one.

Message was edited by:

tysonkey

Fixed a typo

0 Kudos
jasonboche
Immortal
Immortal

Unfortuanately, you wouldn't be able to run the Xbox

360 as a VM using VMware's products, for the simple

reason that the Xbox 360 is using a PowerPC CPU, as

opposed to an i386 based one.

Never say never. Who'dathought MAC OS would be running on Intel chips?

VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
0 Kudos
tysonkey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm not evangelizing for them or anything, and my opinion, their product rarely works. But you could try to emulate an Xbox 360 with PearPC.

0 Kudos
larstr
Champion
Champion

I'm not evangelizing for them or anything, and my

opinion, their product rarely works. But you could

try to emulate an Xbox 360 with PearPC.

Rarely works? depends on your needs. I've been playing with pearpc+MacOSX and it has been enough for me to occationally troubleshoot afp issues on our netatalk (linux) servers.

But I dont think you will have any luck emulating xbox360, as the xbox uses a different generation of the power chip than the ones that are currently supported in pearpc.

Lars

0 Kudos
tysonkey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm sure someone could piece together some modifications for it.

0 Kudos
samwyse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In addition to the above 2 posters, the installation

media for everything up to even XP and 2003 Server is

all on 1 CD-ROM! Almost all of the latest Linux

bloatware distributions are coming on 3, 4, even 5

CDs!!! All my MS VMs are on virtual disks of 2-6 GB.

Most of my newer Linux VMs are on virtual disks of

8-10 GB. Now, granted, this is with most packages

installed... but I'm trying to make a point of

comparison here.

To continue that comparison, with Windows you get just the OS; with those "bloatware" Linux distributions you also get OpenOffice, Apache, MySQL, etc. To get the same functionality from Windows, you'd need the CD-ROMs for Office, IIS, SQL Server, etc., bringing you up to a similar, if not larger, number of CD-ROMs.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

To continue that comparison, with Windows you get

just the OS; with those "bloatware" Linux

distributions you also get OpenOffice, Apache, MySQL,

etc. To get the same functionality from Windows,

you'd need the CD-ROMs for Office, IIS, SQL Server,

etc., bringing you up to a similar, if not larger,

number of CD-ROMs.

This is true (which is why I put the disclaimer in there), if you WANT those extra packages. I'm referring only to the base system. Even if you only want the base system installation, you still need the whole DVD ISO installation disc, instead of 1 CD-ROM ISO. That was my point of comparison.

If you want to add OpenOffice or MySQL (or PostGreSQL) or Apache, or whatever -- since they are all free, open source, just download those apps/packages from their websites. Don't include them in the installation of the OS.

Rob

0 Kudos