VMware {code} Community
moussaba
Contributor
Contributor

vprobe and Fusion

Looking at the vprobes programmer's reference. There is mention of enabling fusion via /Library.... I assume this means that Fusion 2.0 has full vprobes support.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
moussaba
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to confirm that vprobe does indeed work in Fusion 2.0. I am only getting 42 probes for Ubuntu 8.10 virtual machine. I was expecting to see many more probes available, am I missing something?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

Looking at the vprobes programmer's reference. There is mention of enabling fusion via /Library.... I assume this means that Fusion 2.0 has full vprobes support.

VProbes is not supported in the Fusion product. We (the VProbes team) are working to change the support status in future Fusion releases. Having said that, the VProbes code is in the Fusion product by virtue of being shared amongst the VMware products. Thus, from the technical perspective you should hit no major hurdles when trying to use VProbes in your Fusion 2.0 build.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

I was able to confirm that vprobe does indeed work in Fusion 2.0. I am only getting 42 probes for Ubuntu 8.10 virtual machine. I was expecting to see many more probes available, am I missing something?

The probe listing you are seeing represents the list of static

probes provided by our software stack (e..g, Guest_PF, Guest_IRQ, etc). My

assumption is that you are looking for the dynamic guest probes which

are only available if you provide a guest symbol file to the VM before

boot. You can find the full details about loading guest symbol files

in the "Getting Started with VProbes" section of the Workstation 6.5 VProbes

Programming Manual (see

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ws65_vprobes_reference.pdf). For

posterity's sake here are the brief set of steps to get things working for Linux guests:

1. Create a guest symbol file by running 'cat /proc/kallsyms > <symbolFileName>' within the Linux guest.

2. Copy this guest symbol file from the guest to the host.

3. Add the following line to the
    VM configuration (.vmx) file before booting the VM: vprobe.guestSyms =
    "<path_to_symbolFileName>".

Let us know if you hit any road blocks when trying these steps.

Thanks!

0 Kudos