VMware Cloud Community
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation

I get the following error when I try to shutdown or reboot a ESXi 5.5 update 2 host as well as start, suspend, or shutdown VMs: "Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation." I am using version 1.4.509000 of the Android app.  This app should let me do these basic operations just as the free vSphere client does as well. I'm not sure if VMWare is purposefully restricting what we are allowed to do in the app or if the app has a bug that prevents it from doing these basic tasks.

Tags (4)
31 Replies
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Success!!!!! your beta build works on my ESXi server with my license key Smiley Happy

I will be looking forward to getting the update from Google Play.  Will you be fixing the issue on iOS as well?

Thanks.

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for trying out the beta build.

And yes, fixes for iOS is coming too.

tinpll
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same issue when using the PerlSDK. I'm trying to suspend a virtual machine on my ESXi 5.5 U2 host. I have a valid license key installed etc. Is there a U3 update on the horizon which addresses this issue?

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This issue has bee fixed in the latest version of vSphere Mobile Watchlist.

bassman80
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see this exact same issue for my greenfield installation of ESXi 5.5u2, which has a valid license key installed.

With the Watchlist App (iOS 1.3.0-1746860) I can see everything on both host and VMs, but every action fails with the error "Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation".

Is the issue supposed to be fixed in the iOS app in this version?

Regards

Lasse

0 Kudos
bassman80
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just tested without the license key, and this makes the watchlist app work.

So it's definetely a license thingy...can anybody tell eme whether the issue is supposed to be fixed in the current iOS app (1.3.0-1746860), or if its a ESXi issue?

--

Lasse

0 Kudos
gopei77
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello chitongchungchitongchung,..

i have same issue for backup. please see my screenshot ;

can i backup or replication for VM with free edition of vmware ? i just try replication with veeam backup and replication software, but still error. what can i do next ? please, what am i supposed to do ? thanks a lot

0 Kudos
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VMware Free edition has certain APIs blocked, preventing the image-based solutions from backin up VMs residing on such hosts.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
cberry33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is another issue with the Watchlist app that started with Android 6.0 Marshmallow:

Android 6.0 breaks Watchlist App

0 Kudos
KiranSK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do I need to update my ESXi License ?

0 Kudos
TihomirMateev
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hey KiranSK, the vSphere Mobile Watchlist is deprecated. Are you having issues with it? Have you tried installing the vSphere Mobile Client?

0 Kudos
sortimat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello everybody.

i have the same issue.

i got a valid license.

here is the error output

PS C:\Windows> Stop-VM -VM UserPilotMS3041 -Confirm:$false
Stop-VM : 09.02.2024 09:19:38 Stop-VM Current license or ESXi version prohibits execution of the requested operation.
In Zeile:1 Zeichen:1
+ Stop-VM -VM UserPilotMS3041 -Confirm:$false
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Stop-VM], RestrictedVersion
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Client20_VMServiceImpl_StopVM_ViError,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.StopV
M

0 Kudos