VMware Cloud Community
DenPerre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

where are definitions for Resource Pools stored?

Hi all,

I turned off DRS on a cluster which was being downsized to one node (to be decommissioned in the near future).

By doing this i lost the resource pool which was previously defined on this cluster. Unfortunately i did not know that a user was running a deployment on it which did needed the resource pool. (i found out now that you can save a sort of snapshot of your resource pool tree. Great info for the future but a little to late for this particular situation)

I have a backup/snapshot for our vcenter from prior to the moment when i turned of drs. If i restore this: will it also restore the needed resource pool? (in other words: are resource pool definitions stored internally in the vcsa appliance?) Or are they lost in my scenario?

Thanks in advance

Greetings

Jeroen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DenPerre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will answer my own question:

I did a restore of the vcsa to a version prior to switching off DRS/delete of the resource pools and they where indeed restored as i had hoped. So they are indeed saved internally in the VCSA vm. 

The resource pool snapshot mechanism on the other hand was totally useless in this situation as it merely creates a resource pool with the same name as the old one and moves the vm's that were in the old one back into it. It however does NOT restore the exact same resource pool with the exact same id. (which is what i needed in this scenario)

Hope this info can be usefull to someone finding him/herself in the same situation.

Greetings

Perre

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

why not simply create a new resource pool?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

restoring a snapshot or backup could also role back other things?

0 Kudos
DenPerre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The software in question is looking for a resource  pool with a specific ID (not only the name). So simply creating a resource pool is not enough. (i also looked around if you can manipulate the internal id for a resource pool but could not find anything to do that.)

0 Kudos
DenPerre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm aware of that. (and since i'm the admin of the environment i know this will not be a problem)

0 Kudos
DenPerre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Extra info:

this is the error message we get:

Error response from daemon: Server error from portlayer: The object 'vim.ResourcePool:resgroup-1273981' has already been deleted or has not been completely created

0 Kudos
DenPerre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will answer my own question:

I did a restore of the vcsa to a version prior to switching off DRS/delete of the resource pools and they where indeed restored as i had hoped. So they are indeed saved internally in the VCSA vm. 

The resource pool snapshot mechanism on the other hand was totally useless in this situation as it merely creates a resource pool with the same name as the old one and moves the vm's that were in the old one back into it. It however does NOT restore the exact same resource pool with the exact same id. (which is what i needed in this scenario)

Hope this info can be usefull to someone finding him/herself in the same situation.

Greetings

Perre

0 Kudos