VMware Cloud Community
ahmedelrofaie89
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what is the affect of vcenter failure on the distributed switch ?

I just have this very simple question, if I have  ESXI Hosts managed by vcenter and I configured multiple distributed switches, are these VDS going to be gone if the Vcenter failed?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Of course not. vCenter is required to manage/configure distributed vSwitches. The configuration is then pushed out to the ESXi hosts on which it persists.

André 

View solution in original post

Giodomi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

nope, but with the vCenter down you are unable to manage the VDS and also unable to attach to a machine a Distributed Port Group for example.
The VDS configuration is saved and maintained at the host level, so when your Center will be back you will have the exact same configuration you left when the center was down.

The distributed port group and the relative network traffic are untouched so you will NOT have any kind of downtime on your services or the host

Kudos if it was helpful

GioDomi

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

This is not the entire truth because different vDS Portgroups types exists and showing a different behavior. At least the PG where you have vCenter connected should use the non default "ephemeral" type which can be controlled by the ESXi it self and let him restart a VM there. There is a KB about that.

Otherwise, yes without vCenter you cant made changes to your vNetwork and cant start VMs which is a expected behavior.

Regards,
Joerg

5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Of course not. vCenter is required to manage/configure distributed vSwitches. The configuration is then pushed out to the ESXi hosts on which it persists.

André 

Giodomi
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hello,

nope, but with the vCenter down you are unable to manage the VDS and also unable to attach to a machine a Distributed Port Group for example.
The VDS configuration is saved and maintained at the host level, so when your Center will be back you will have the exact same configuration you left when the center was down.

The distributed port group and the relative network traffic are untouched so you will NOT have any kind of downtime on your services or the host

Kudos if it was helpful

GioDomi
ahmedelrofaie89
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks a lot , that made things clear for me now

0 Kudos
ahmedelrofaie89
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks a lot, that made things clear for me now 😊

and you're right I have noticed this behavior with a host that was managed by vCenter.

when the vCenter was absent, I couldn't connect any new VMs to any Distributed Port Groups

again thanks for your clarification 

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

This is not the entire truth because different vDS Portgroups types exists and showing a different behavior. At least the PG where you have vCenter connected should use the non default "ephemeral" type which can be controlled by the ESXi it self and let him restart a VM there. There is a KB about that.

Otherwise, yes without vCenter you cant made changes to your vNetwork and cant start VMs which is a expected behavior.

Regards,
Joerg