VMware Cloud Community
ttecs
Contributor
Contributor

web client login very slow ESXi 6.5

I have a few esxi servers distributed around the country. The hardware is all HPe Gen 10 DL 380 and ML350 with lots of CPU and RAM

When the systems are built at head off on the local lan the web client login is almost instantaneous but once we deploy them out to site they are VERY slow

Definition of slow:

put IP into browser, it complains the cert is unsafe,continue, the screens goes blue, login appears

Times between going blue and login:

Windows 10

Explorer 11: 30min to 60min

Opera: 5-10 min

Chrome: 30 min

Firefox 5-10 min

Centos 6

Firefox 5-10min

The connections are all about 1Mb/s and have worked perfectly for years with the fat clients.

I have looked at the DNS and that seems ok.

Licenses are mostly Essentials but I tried a Free one and also a "eval" and it is the same with all of them.

There is obviously something I am missing but I have to solve this before the mass upgrade of all of the 5.5s

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RickVerstegen
Expert
Expert

Are you using the vCenter Appliance or Windows vCenter? And do you have any plug-ins enabled?

Rick

Was I helpful? Give a kudo for appreciation!
Blog: https://rickverstegen84.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/verstegenrick
0 Kudos
tanwk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Few questions:

Where are you accessing from to the vCenter?

What is the sizing done on the vCenter?

How many VMs and ESXi servers, cluster are you managing?

What is the bandwidth and latency between endpoint to vCenter?

What is the bandwidth and latency between vCenter to the ESXi servers?

Blog: http://plain-virt.blogspot.com
Twitter: @tanwk3
LinkedIn: http://sg.linkedin.com/in/weekiongtan
0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Please, test of the other computer.

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

We had the same problem in our environment and after a while we find out that some of microsoft public IP Addresses had been blocked by our firewall. Microsoft uses these addresses to verify the CERTs for RDP,HTTPS and ...

So by using netstat command like this "netstat -an 2 | findstr SYN_SENT"  and creating a report, our security guys solved the problem.

Please consider marking this answer as "correct" or "helpful" if you think your questions have been answered.

Cheers

Ardaneh

0 Kudos
ttecs
Contributor
Contributor

Ok answering questions so far.

No vcentre at all.

Each machine is a stand alone system owned by a customer and is accessed either by a GRE or IPSEC tunnel or on public IP that is firewalled to only allow connections from specific subnets.

This is done to keep the privacy of the customers and to allow my people access from wherever they are at the time not just at their desks.

All of the systems are built in our workshop and on gigabit network the speed is adequate but the same systems when attached to remotes are terrible.

adgate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In this case, I would consider an upgrade of the VPN hardware/software configuration to guaranty the network performance.

0 Kudos
ttecs
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately that cannot be done. Australia has limited bandwidth outside the capital cities.

It seems strange that the thick client works so well while the web client is so slow.

0 Kudos
ttecs
Contributor
Contributor

Also once logged it it is quite fast, it is only the wait for the login prompt that is the problem

0 Kudos
ttecs
Contributor
Contributor

Well it seems no one has a solution here.

I did an experiment.

vSphere 6.0 on a HPe DL360 gen10

As this runs both the thick and thin clients it seemed to be a good test.

Thick, worked perfectly very fast.

Thin, terrible. very slow to the point of completely useless.

Now I need to make a decision.

If this cannot be fixed other than by setting up a very large number of vCenters all over the country then firstly I will have to downgrade all the 6.5s to 6.0 and then investigate what virtualisation system to use after 2020 when 6.0 becomes EOL because right now 6.5 is completely useless to me.

I really do not want to change almost 100 systems but I am being backed into a corner.

I really cannot believe that a company as large as VMWare could possibly do this although admittedly Microsoft made Vista....

0 Kudos
HMIBarryLSalter
Contributor
Contributor

I know this is old but it could help.

I have this issue on my system, exactly the same (exception I do not know what a thin client or thick client is) but logging in from a browser renders a blue screen for a really long time and then the log in screen shows up.

I've now started to log in to virtual windows I have running on that box and from that windows box, logging into esxi and that loads and runs quickly even over a very poor internet connection. I might add, I use Splashtop, have for years now and very satisfied with the product and support.  If I had to depend on RDP for this, it would be much slower.

0 Kudos