VMware Cloud Community
TylerV5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vsphereHA对esxi主机版本的兼容性

Author : mimartin

URL : http:////docs.vmware.com/cn/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.avail.doc/GUID-6B528FE0-9CC1-4198-...

Topic Name : 互操作性的最佳做法

Publication Name : vSphere 可用性

Product/Version : VMware vSphere/6.7

Question :

请问6.5版本的esxi主机可以和6.7版本的esxi主机配置vsphereHA吗,vmotion功能可以正常使用吗?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to VMTN. 🙂

Going forward, please post in English after translation so we can help in best way.

For now, I have translated your question to English as below. Correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstood your question.

Question: Can the 6.5 version of the ESXi host be configured with the 6.7 version of the esxi host vsphereHA, can the vmotion function be used normally?

Answer: You can keep both 6.5 and 6.7 hosts in a single vSphere cluster with HA, DRS enabled. You have to make sure below prerequisites are met:

1. Hardware, specifically CPU of hosts should be of same family.

2. Configure EVC on same hardware (CPU) level.

3. VM hardware version available for 6.5 is 13 and for 6.7, it is 14. Make sure all VMs stay at hardware version below 13 because VMs with hardware version over 13 (14) will not run on 6.5 hosts.

Not a prerequisite but a concern, ESXi 6.5 and 6.7 ship with different VMware Tools version and although there would be no impact on VMs' performance with different VMware Tools version running on the hosts but it is nice to have uniform VMware Tools version on all VMs. VMware Tools version is not dependent on ESXi version to work.

Let me know if you have more query on this.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to VMTN. 🙂

Going forward, please post in English after translation so we can help in best way.

For now, I have translated your question to English as below. Correct me if I'm wrong or misunderstood your question.

Question: Can the 6.5 version of the ESXi host be configured with the 6.7 version of the esxi host vsphereHA, can the vmotion function be used normally?

Answer: You can keep both 6.5 and 6.7 hosts in a single vSphere cluster with HA, DRS enabled. You have to make sure below prerequisites are met:

1. Hardware, specifically CPU of hosts should be of same family.

2. Configure EVC on same hardware (CPU) level.

3. VM hardware version available for 6.5 is 13 and for 6.7, it is 14. Make sure all VMs stay at hardware version below 13 because VMs with hardware version over 13 (14) will not run on 6.5 hosts.

Not a prerequisite but a concern, ESXi 6.5 and 6.7 ship with different VMware Tools version and although there would be no impact on VMs' performance with different VMware Tools version running on the hosts but it is nice to have uniform VMware Tools version on all VMs. VMware Tools version is not dependent on ESXi version to work.

Let me know if you have more query on this.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There is no issue. But you have to keep backward compatibility to older hosts.

As an example: You can't use newest hardware version and you should use hardware which the hardware version is compatible with oldest host.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
TylerV5
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thank you for your answer.

my english is not very good.

you mean a 6.5 version ESXi host and a 6.7 version ESXi host can be configured to vshpereHA when meet the conditions,it can be work?

0 Kudos
pragg12
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This is correct. If the conditions are met, a 6.5 version ESXi host and a 6.7 version ESXi host can work together in a vSphere HA cluster.

0 Kudos