VMware Cloud Community
JeFe82
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vsphere essential kit - RAM limitation

Hi all,

I recently upgraded the infrastructure of my company to vsphere essential Kit 6.7.

I have 2 servers HP G9 and G10 with 192GB of RAM for each.

I currently need to build several (6 at least) VM with 48GB of RAM, but I don't have enough RAM, so I need to increase the physcal RAM of my server.

My understanding with the essential kit is that there is no more limitation for the physical RAM. Nevertheless, it seems that the vRAM has a limitation of 192GB for the pool.

If I'm right, it is worthless to increase the physical RAM of my severs.

So, I have 2 questions:

- Can someone confirm my understanding ? and optionaly clarify how the vRAM is computed, this is a bit unclear to me ?

- What would be the best approach to increase my setup ? Buying a new server (as I have spare place with my license) or migrating to a diffferent vsphere license?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards

Je

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The attempt to introduce a vRAM maximum of 192GB per Kit (6 x 32GB) has been dropped again with vSphere 5.5. Currently there's no license limit regarding physical RAM.

Whether to add a third host, or to just increase the 2 existing hosts' RAM depends on your needs. If you are happy with the two hosts' performance, you may stay with them and add more RAM (see https://memoryconfigurator.hpe.com/DDR4memoryconfig/Home/ for possible addition, and placement).

Adding another host may be covered by the vSphere licenses, but you may also need to look at other licenses, e.g. Windows Datacenter (in case you are licensing the host this way).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The attempt to introduce a vRAM maximum of 192GB per Kit (6 x 32GB) has been dropped again with vSphere 5.5. Currently there's no license limit regarding physical RAM.

Whether to add a third host, or to just increase the 2 existing hosts' RAM depends on your needs. If you are happy with the two hosts' performance, you may stay with them and add more RAM (see https://memoryconfigurator.hpe.com/DDR4memoryconfig/Home/ for possible addition, and placement).

Adding another host may be covered by the vSphere licenses, but you may also need to look at other licenses, e.g. Windows Datacenter (in case you are licensing the host this way).

André

0 Kudos
JeFe82
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thx André for your quick reply and for your confirmation.

I think that I read to many docs today and I finally got confused ... But I re-checked the product guide (in the right version this time) and you're totally right, there is no more mention about vRAM limitation.

For the upgrade, I think, I'll simply add some RAM.

I'm using less than 50% of CPU for my cluster and more than 90% of RAM. This will be the best approach, I think...

Thx again

Jérôme

0 Kudos