VMware Cloud Community
captcha_time
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware guest cpu speed not reflecting reserved speed settings

I created a windows server 2016 vm in vmware and set the cpu to 3,000 mhz in the vm settings. When I open task manager on the VM it only shows 2.20 ghz as the CPU speed. Why is that?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

What do you mean by setting the CPU to 3GHz?

I think there is a confusion here, you can set a reservation of how much CPU do you want to reserve to a VM (when it boots and there are no enough resources to power on all VMs within a cluster or APP pool, it will reserve that CPU capacity for the VM no matter if other VMs are trying to boot up).

In the VM you will see the speed of the hosts' physical core. So, probably your host is a CPU with X sockets and Y cores running at 2.20 GHz and this is what you see inside the Guest OS.

Hope that helps.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

What do you mean by setting the CPU to 3GHz?

I think there is a confusion here, you can set a reservation of how much CPU do you want to reserve to a VM (when it boots and there are no enough resources to power on all VMs within a cluster or APP pool, it will reserve that CPU capacity for the VM no matter if other VMs are trying to boot up).

In the VM you will see the speed of the hosts' physical core. So, probably your host is a CPU with X sockets and Y cores running at 2.20 GHz and this is what you see inside the Guest OS.

Hope that helps.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
captcha_time
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I am installing software on this VM that requires 2.6 ghz. The guest only reports 2.2 ghz. How can I get it to 2.6?

0 Kudos
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

As I said before you can't set an exact amount of compute power, like 2.6 GHz.

If a requirement is 2.6 GHz I will stay with 1 vCPU at 2.2 GHz (remember this is the clock speed of the host's CPU) and if needed, increase the amount of vCPUs to 2.

0 Kudos