VMware Cloud Community
hank1358
Contributor
Contributor

vmware 7 datastore upload file slow

Dear ALL,

Direct connection to the laptop, tested to the newly installed VMWARE HOST 1G network card, the speed is only 10MB/s

What could be the problem? Thank's

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@hank1358 

What are you trying to upload?

What specific tool are you using to start the upload?

What type of storage backs the datastore?

What do you mean by "direct connection"?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
hank1358
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

What are you trying to upload? upload an 10G ISO file

What specific tool are you using to start the upload? use winscp sftp tools to upload

What type of storage backs the datastore? use local datastore with raid-5

What do you mean by "direct connection"? use notebook connect to vmware host direct with cat6 network cable

thank for your help.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@hank1358 

Your physical NIC is an uplink port for a vSwitch, your WinSCP session will be to a VMkernel port on that vSwitch.

A screenshot of your vSwitch showing the uplink port and VMkernel port will help here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
hank1358
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

Thank for your help.

I tried to add a second network card to the VMkernel port, but the speed seems to be the same as that of the one.

Could it be a limitation of vmware itself?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@hank1358 

Your additional card would only be used as a failover by default, there's no other benefit for a single IP session.

And it's hard to say anything else without knowing your vSwitch layout as I mentioned before.

0 Kudos