VMware Cloud Community
MustafaSadek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmotion network label

Dears ,

I have test lab ( 2 esxi hosts )

i created  vss switch on both ESXI hosts ,created vmotion portgroup on both hosts with same name (VM Network label : VMotion)

when i i migrate vm from host 1 o host 2 , it works fine and normally

lately when i do change the port group name on one of 2 hosts , i expect that migration won't success cause the difference of portgroup names, but this doesn't happen

and i see that i can do VMotion normally even i changed the vm network label of vmotion on one of 2 hosts . so why this happen ?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The names of the VM port groups must match across hosts, but not the names of the port groups used by the VMkernel interfaces on which you have enabled vMotion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The names of the VM port groups must match across hosts, but not the names of the port groups used by the VMkernel interfaces on which you have enabled vMotion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It's not the name of the VMkernel portgroup, but enabling vMotion in the port groups settings which matters.

André

MustafaSadek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks , it is clear now

0 Kudos