VMware Cloud Community
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vmotion - allocated vs active memory

During a vMotion, which virtual machine memory is migrated? (Allocated vs Active etc?)

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Allocated.

The "active memory" displays the amount of memory which have changed in a period of time. I will not say that this information is completely useless but why vsphere presented it in first place is out of my mind.

Regards,
Joerg

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This is as much detail on the process as I've seen: The vMotion Process Under the Hood - VMware vSphere Blog

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

good information, but still with question ex: if I have a 120GB VM with 40GB active/in use, would vMotion migrate all the 120GB or just the memory that has been touched/in use?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The key part of the article for your question is

"To give you an example, this is what the iterations could look like as we live-migrate a virtual machine with 24GB of memory:"

they don't say a VM with 24gb of memory actively being used, they say a VM with 24GB of memory. I'm not sure the purpose of this question other than understanding how VM works, are you wondering if in the end vmotion leaves memory on the older host? It doesn't, post vmotion it still requires the same resources as it did before. One thing I think will help if you consider things like drs

vSphere 6.5 DRS and Memory Balancing in Non-Overcommitted Clusters - frankdenneman.nl

scroll down to the "Out-of-the-box DRS Behavior" setting. IF you leave the default drs setting in 6.5 and 6.7(I think 7.0 it changed), drs only considers active plus an extra 25% or the idle consumed memory when making a decision to move a VM or not. The "Memory Metric for Load Balancing Enabled" on the other hand uses the full consumed memory when deciding to move a vm.

This is important because with the default setting a VM with large amount of VM provisioned, but is mostly inactive , could be migrated to a host and you could have more memory provided then you actually have. This can be fine in some situations, but if that VM suddenly wants all that memory you can start to have performance issues., If you have the "Memory Metric for Load Balancing Enabled" but you can run into issue here if you overcommit your memory as vms won't consolidate like they did before.

andvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No it's not about anything specific other than mainly to understand what happens in the background i.e. which memory state/s are migrated

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Allocated.

The "active memory" displays the amount of memory which have changed in a period of time. I will not say that this information is completely useless but why vsphere presented it in first place is out of my mind.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos