VMware Cloud Community
SudhirH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmotion across clusters and network

Hi,

I have two VMware clusters connected to the same vCenter. Each of the cluster have a separate vMotion network. The management network of both the clusters are also separate and the communication on the management network (hypervisor management interfaces) is blocked between both of the clusters. Both the clusters have communication allowed for the vmotion network.

Hypervisor on cluster1 can ping the vmotion vmkernel inteface of the destination cluster2 vmotion vmkernel interface and vice versa.

The vmotion vmkernel interface have been configured with the vmotion TCP/IP stack and default gateway of its network. However, we are unable to vmotion the vms between both clusters. The error that we see is the vmotion failed at 23%, cannot connect to host.

Does vmotion require ESXi management network communication between both source and destination ESXi or just vmotion network communication is enough?

Screenshot attached.

TIA,

Sudhir

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Only a guess, but maybe https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/76041​ can help.

If not, which related messages do you see in the log files?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did you checked this Migrate VM's from one cluster to another cluster in below scenerio? ? You need the same vMotion network and dvportgroups in both clusters. 

0 Kudos
SudhirH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The vmotion network is different as they are on two different networks. However the DVS port groups are spanned across both clusters. I dont see a requirement for vmotion network being same except that they need reach-ability between both vmotion networks.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Review all these requirements: Host Configuration for vMotion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
SudhirH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

we are performing a shared nothing vmotion and have met all the requirements mentioned here.

Requirements and Limitations for vMotion Without Shared Storage

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Only a guess, but maybe https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/76041​ can help.

If not, which related messages do you see in the log files?

André

0 Kudos