VMware Cloud Community
garishshunker22
Contributor
Contributor

vmnic0 and vmnic1 do not have same VLAN

Hello,

I have 1 vSwitch (vSwitch0) in which there are two nic, vmnic0 and vmnic1.

NIC Teaming => Both nic are active as shown on the screenshot.

There are several vlans, VMNIC1 shows all the VLAN while VMNIC0 shows one vlan.

Any idea?

Thank you

0 Kudos
8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Are you certain that both NICs have identical VLANs trunked to them? It's also possible that no traffic is leaving the one NIC which uses the "missing" VLANs, which is why it won't show.

0 Kudos
garishshunker22
Contributor
Contributor

Yes both NICs have identical VLAN trunked to them.
I'm a bit loss with this. Bizarre

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

It may not be a problem. As I said, if no traffic from the "missing" VLAN is not going across that second vmnic, it won't show anything for it.

0 Kudos
garishshunker22
Contributor
Contributor

I have a VM, which was in the VLAN 133. That vlan doesnt appear on the vmnic0, it appears only on vmnic1.

The VM gets an IP, but I can't ping any other IP from the same subnet or other subnet.

So I vmotion the VM to another esxi on which I have the same config, 1 vswitch with 2 nics, vlan appears on both nic, everything pings correctly.

Both ESXi host are on the same cluster, check the VLAN propagation for both host, identical. Trunk mode is enabled for all ports.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Then it would appear something isn't as identical as it may seem if you can't ping any other nodes in the same L2. Check your switch configuration again.

0 Kudos
garishshunker22
Contributor
Contributor

Checked and re-check, everything is identical.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

If you try and use one network adapter at time, are the virtual machines on those networks working. I don't really trust what vmware says the vlans are, I've seen it wrong before, it could be a problem with cdp or lldp. I'm not a networking expert but one of those are the protocols that the vswtich and the physical switch uses to communicate the network capabilities. If one isn't communicating correctly it may be why your only seeing 1 vlan on one of the switchports, but if you check the switch all your vlans are on the port.

0 Kudos
HawkieMan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The VLAN list on the NIC info only shows the VLANs that have had active traffic over that NIC, so it is not a Complete listing of available.

0 Kudos