VMware Cloud Community
SchroederX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmWare ESXi 6.5 Update Order

Hi,

I'm servicing a Lenovo x3650 M5 ESXi 6.5 Host with vCenter and Update Manager - it's member of a cluster of three.

The concerning host had a faulty OS USB-Stick some months ago, which was replaced and then the host reinstalled with a Lenovo Custom Image.

I was sent the ESXi Image with the Build Number matching our last settings backup, but someone misinterpreted the "cumulativeness" of the bigger Updates, which means the host now has 6.5 Update 3 installed and was later patched to the latest build number, but it is missing Update1 and Update2. Update Manager noticed it and wants to apply Update1, Update2 and the latest updates released in november.

Could this become a problem or can I expect Update Manager to do the right thing (e.g. only updating VIBs with newer version numbers). I'm not too keen on installing the host from scratch one more time...

Thanks for your advice.

Adrian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

HUH, U3 actually contains all fixes that are part of U1 and U2 as well, what you are saying should not be happening. It should not try to apply U1 and U2 when you already are running U3. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

HUH, U3 actually contains all fixes that are part of U1 and U2 as well, what you are saying should not be happening. It should not try to apply U1 and U2 when you already are running U3. 

SchroederX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, that was a quick reply, thank you.

I have listed Complete Update 1 installed on the host but not Complete Update 2 or 3.

Maybe I got some false information about the update level and the last update session was not working correctly.

In this case I think I just should let Update Manager so its job.

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

yeah, let VUM do it's magic at this point indeed.

0 Kudos
SchroederX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, all fine now. I installed U2+U3, now its looking good.

I guess I won't trust some subcontractor's email without checking.

Sorry for that quirky question.

Have happy holidays an stay safe.

0 Kudos