VMware Cloud Community
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vm log file

3 days ago there was a problem in the virtual server. I want to find the logs of the virtual server only 3 days ago. how to find vm's log .

0 Kudos
7 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert

i assume you have vcenter or esxi ?

look into the virtual machine folder on the datastore - there you find vmware.log (actual) and vmware-XX.log (older). take the log that matches for you

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Thread moved to the vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hello, hope you are doing fines

for virtual machine logs -->

Virtual machinesThe same directory as the affected virtual machine's configuration files, named vmware.log and vmware*.log. For example, /vmfs/volumes/datastore/virtual machine/vwmare.logContains virtual machine power events, system failure information, tools status and activity, time sync, virtual hardware changes, vMotion migrations, machine clones, and so on.

ESXi Log File Locations

Although these are not logs you can navigate to monitor --> Tasks and Events and it can point useful information (such as hardware failures, power actions, etc)

0 Kudos
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I looked at the logs, but there are too many logs. server access lost ping access lost how can i find this log ?

thanks

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

You're not going to find a log file anywhere that tells you "this VM lost ping".

0 Kudos
ferexderta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do you think where and how should I look for the reason for this? Also I am using vrealize operation manager 7.0 .

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

On the VM logs, I don't think you will find something really useful.
Maybe on the Guest OS logs (Syslog on Linux or Event Viewer on Windows) can indicate a nic disconnection. But if there was something like  duplicate IP address it will be difficult to tell.

Have you checked if the VM was not rebooted or restarted by HA in that timeframe?

0 Kudos