VMware Cloud Community
blatu2006
Contributor
Contributor

virtual machine always disconnected

i am using Vsphere 6.5. There is an virtual machine, linux system. The issue is that this virtual machine always disconnected(i couldn't ping its IP address). At the meanwhile, the host which the virtual machine with has package loss when I ping its IP address too. This issue always happen these weeks. I have to reboot the ESXi host to put it back online. I can see the event from vcenter: Agent can't send heartbeats: No buffer space available.

Please give me some advice.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Hi,

are there on this host any other VMs running stable? How many physical network interfaces are available in host? Are Management network and VM network using separated uplinks or they share the traffic?

I assume You can't login to Esxi host using browser and vSphere Host Client, so You are restarting it directly using console (DCUI). Is that right?

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
blatu2006
Contributor
Contributor

Other VMs run well in the host. If i move this VM to other host, the same issue will happen again. Although i doubt it is the issue of this VM, but the system vendor said that there is no unreasonable configuration after the support team checked the network settings.

There is only one physical network interfaces available on this host. The management network is using the same uplink, sharing. I rooted the esxi host from vcenter server every time.

0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Let's focus on the affected VM. What type of vNIC is assigned it? E1000, VMXNET3?

What model of physical NICs (chipset) is installed in the host?

Regards
Radek

If you think your question have been answered correctly, please consider marking it as a solution or rewarding me with kudos.
0 Kudos
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

Check this KB VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
blatu2006
Contributor
Contributor

NIC is vmxnet3

physical network card: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller X710

0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Install apropriate drivers for E1000 if they are not installed in Linux VM and change vmxnet3 to e1000 vNIC.

Linux* Base Driver for Intel® Gigabit Ethernet Network Connections

Check if it is running stable now.

Regards
Radek

0 Kudos
vmrale
Expert
Expert

Check this too:

https://www.virtual-allan.com/esxi-6-0-6-5-and-intel-x710-nic-problem/

Regards
Radek

0 Kudos