VMware Cloud Community
stephanieh1
Contributor
Contributor

vcserver password reset

The network administrator for this organization left the company. I am the new network administrator. A vcserver user account was created in AD with domain admin rights, and was used for vsphere, veeam, veeam proxy, vcenter, etc. The password for this account was not recorded anywhere. Upon the need to reset this password so that it is something that we know, and so that servers can be restarted, the backups and replication are no longer working. I've reset vcserver password in all the places I can find where it needs to be changed, but no backup or replication jobs are able to connect to the vsphere linux server. How do I change the password on that one?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
stephanieh1
Contributor
Contributor

I believe I just need to know how to reset the vcserver password locally on the vsphere server, if anyone can help me with that.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @stephanieh1 ,

If you are trying to reset 'root' credentials, please refer --> https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147144 

If it's the AD user, you should be resetting the credentials from the AD server itself.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
stephanieh1
Contributor
Contributor

It's the AD user. We reset the password for this AD user on the AD server. Ever since then the backups aren't working. Looks like on the Identity Source page in vsphere that was the user used to connect to AD. Maybe that's why it's broke?

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@stephanieh1 ,

Are you able to login to vCenter using this AD user and it's new password ? If not, try removing this AD user from vCenter permissions and add it back.

Have you updated the new password on your back application ?

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
stephanieh1
Contributor
Contributor

No, I'm not able to login to the vCenter client using this AD user and it's new password. Or any AD user for that matter. Since making this change I can only login with the local vSphere administrator. I have not updated the new password on the back application. I don't know what you mean by that.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@stephanieh1 ,

Try removing this user from vCenter permissions and adding it back to see if that helps. If all users are affected, try removing the identity source from vCenter and adding it back(Permissions are retained). Take a snapshot of vCenter before performing this task.

Remove a vCenter Single Sign-On Identity Source 

0 Kudos