VMware Cloud Community
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

vcenter ver 6.5.0.32, increase disk size on one of the vm's grayed out.

I researched this it says to delete snapshots, is there another method that can be used to get this function back?

info hard disk 1, thin prov. storage default, disk file xxxx.vmdk

thx for the feedback.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Usual reasons for a grayed out disk size are snapshots (which doesn't seem to be the case here), or disk on virtual IDE controllers.

To find out other possible reasons, the VM's vmware.log file might help.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... some questions.

• which vSphere version do you use?
  • on which VMFS version (VMFS5/VMFS6) is the VM stored?
  • which VMware Tools version is installed in the VM?
  • what's the virtual disk's size?

IIRC resizing a virtual disk larger than 2TB required downtime in some older versions.

André

0 Kudos
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

no, I compared another vm settings that is on the same hosts as the that vm the hard drive space is not grayed out. also its using scsi controllers,

0 Kudos
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

which vSphere version do you use? Version 6.5.0.32000 Build 15259038

on which VMFS version (VMFS5/VMFS6) is the VM stored?  VMFS 5, *keep this setup is a cluster there are other vm's using the same data store. and as I mentioned I can adjust hardrive size on the one on the same data store

which VMware Tools version is installed in the VM?  Running, version:11265 (Current) *same as the one that is working.

what's the virtual disk's size?  currently 200gb would like to go to 400gb, just want to bump it up to 200gb

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

If the VM disks are on snapshots, then the only way to increase the capacity is by consolidating snapshots. If there are no snapshots, then probably the VM is locked by another job in vCenter or any other software.

To clear the lock, you have following option:

1.If VM is backed up by a backup VM/software, please ensure the VM disks are detached from backup proxy VM.

2. If removing VM from inventory is feasible, please try that.

3. Check these KBs to clear disabled processes from vCenter database -->

VMware Knowledge Base

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

there is only 1 snapshot, created 7/8/20

can I save it somewhere vs delete?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Seems I misunderstood your initial post. I thought that there's no snapshot.

can I save it somewhere vs delete?

No, in order to resize a virtual disk, it must have no snapshots, because the snapshot file points to data blocks within the parent virtual disk file.

André

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Is it possible that you have an RDM?
Else you will have to consolidate snapshots.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Snapshots have to be consolidated. Capacity of VM disks running on snapshots cannot be increased.

To consolidate the changes to the disk, please choose the 'delete all' option. This will write the changes to the disk and remove the snapshot disk.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

no I am asking can I save a copy of  the current snapshot somewhere else then delete it from it vcenter?

basically create a copy somewhere else in case I need to restore.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Are you able to clone the VM?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately no, that won't work.

As soon as the base/parent virtual disk is modified (e.g. resized), the snapshot file cannot be used anymore.

André

0 Kudos
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

this is for increasing size for the c drive only.

disk file is a *.vmk

no physical lun attached

the second hard drive which I do not want to increase is a *.vmk file and has a physical lun

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

To keep a copy of the snapshot,

You can create a new folder within the datastore and copy the VMDK and it's snapshot disks from datastore browser. (Base vmdk along with all snapshot disks should be copied and not just the snapshot vmdk).

Or

Try cloning the virtual machine.

Please note, it is not recommended to run a VM on a snapshot for a longer duration. Unlike a traditional VM disk, snapshot disk will keep growing as and when data is written to it and additional space from the datastore will be utilized.

0 Kudos
arcolino1
Contributor
Contributor

I saw that option, will research it

so not even turning of the vm would allow the increase of the hard disk?

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VM disks that are running on snapshots cannot be increased even when powered off.

0 Kudos