VMware Cloud Community
vishapatil86
Contributor
Contributor

vcenter installation issue

Hi,

I am trying to install vcenter on esxi 6.5 and I am getting following error -

"duplicate name 'vcenter' on target, use --overwrite option to delete it" (this is fresh installation and datastore doesn't have any other folder)

upon checking vc installer, this is what I found -

+ <Errors>

+ <Error>

+ <Type>ovftool.vi.target.duplicate</Type>

+ <LocalizedMsg>

+ Duplicate name &apos;vCenter &apos; on target. Use --overwrite option to delete it.

+ </LocalizedMsg>

+ <Arg>

+ VMware vCenter Server Appliance

+ </Arg>

+ </Error>

+ </Errors>

2017-11-06T14:33:02.180Z - error: Progress Controller: [VCSA ERROR] - Details Duplicate name 'vCenter' on target. Use --overwrite option to delete it.

2017-11-06T14:33:02.181Z - info: Cancelling the ping timer for session mgmt

2017-11-06T14:33:02.209Z - info: ovfProcess child process exited with code 1

2017-11-06T14:33:08.197Z - debug: initiateFileTransferFromGuest error: ServerFaultCode: Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials.

2017-11-06T14:33:08.201Z - debug: Failed to get fileTransferInfo:ServerFaultCode: Failed to authenticate with the guest operating system using the supplied credentials.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have another VM called vCenter? Are you certain you don't have a duplicate on your destination ESXi host and datastore?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

check your datastore to see if there is a folder callled vCenter in there

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
vishapatil86
Contributor
Contributor

No, I dont have anything in datastore called vcenter.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Overwrite a Running Virtual Machine or vApp from VI

VMware OVF Tool supports overwriting existing targets. If a target virtual machine or vApp has the same

name as the source, OVF Tool overwrites the target when the --overwrite option is specified. If the target

virtual machine or vApp is running, OVF Tool cannot overwrite it. OVF Tool does not automatically power off

the target. To power off the target before overwriting it, use the --powerOffTarget option.

> ovftool --overwrite --powerOffTarget package.ovf

vi://localhost/?dns=production-host.example.com

You can also power on the newly written virtual machine or vApp at the same time. In the following example,

the target machine is powered off and deleted, the package.ovf is imported, and the imported virtual machine

or vApp is powered on.

> ovftool --overwrite --powerOffTarget --powerOn package.ovf

vi://localhost/?dns=production-host.example.com

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

Are you installing vcenter on a standalone host? Or are you trying to install VC on ESXi host which is a member of existing cluster\datacenter?

0 Kudos
vishapatil86
Contributor
Contributor

I am deploying on standalone host

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Please post output of your target ESXi host's inventory and the folders and files on the destination datastore.

0 Kudos
theaaronstrong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you're certain you don't have an existing vCenter named 'vcenter' can you use the switch --overwrite to proceed?

0 Kudos
vishapatil86
Contributor
Contributor

I am deploying with GUI. I am not really familiar with cli-installer. Can you explain it how can I deploy it with the help of overwrite option?

Thanks

0 Kudos