VMware Cloud Community
Sreehari41
Contributor
Contributor

vcenter 6.5 credentials error

Hi,
I have a 4 node vmware 6.5 environment running on nutanix hardware. Everything used to work fine, all of a sudden i am not able to login to vCenter with the correct credentials, however vCenter root is working fine. All Esxi host credentials are also not working. Tried troubleshooting, rebooted the vCenter server, now some of the main services are not running. Tried to reset the vCenter password through root, that doesnt seem to work. 

Kindly suggest.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
michelev
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,
 try thi KB:

For your vCenter with root access:
How to unlock and reset SSO administrator password in vSphere 5.5 (2146225)

For your ESXi:
Steps to reset a lost or forgotten root password of an ESX/ESXi host (1317898)

HTH

--
Please consider to give kudos and mark this as accepted solutions

Tags (1)
Sreehari41
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,
Tried resetting, it didn't work for GUI login, however the same is working from a vmware workstation login. The ESXi is reset by rebooting the server and pressing Shift+R. I could see a rollback option with the same version and build as the default ESXi. On clicking rollback, the same password starts working. However with vCenter the administrator password works fine with Workstation. Seems like the password is not working only with GUI.

0 Kudos
michelev
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

try it:

Checking Expiration of STS Certificate on vCenter Servers (79248)

Troubleshooting permissions errors when connecting to vCenter Server with the vSphere Client (100387...

HTH

Michele V.
--

Please consider to give "kudos" by clicking and/or mark this as "accepted solutions" 

0 Kudos
Sreehari41
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Seems to be unusual issue, tried resetting the ESXi passwords through Powercli. That was succesful. But however, the vCenter credentials worked for GUI as soon as i restart all the vCenter services. After some time, the same didnt work. I am still able to login using the same credentials in VMware Workstation or Powercli.

0 Kudos