VMware Cloud Community
Mdamdedo
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere with remote desktop connection (RDP)

Does vSphere support remote desktop connection?

For example, if I open the PC with the vSphere software via remote desktop connection on my PC.

Will it cause problems?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

By Default VM's can also have RDP , are you talking about ESXI RDP connection then NO.

regards

gayathri

0 Kudos
Mdamdedo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply

The PC with the vSphere software (the one I want to make connection with) is not the esxi, but it makes connection to the esxi.

0 Kudos
GayathriS
Expert
Expert

is not the esxi, but it makes connection to the esxi, what do you mean ?

What kind of connection are you trying to establish ?

Which machine ?is it a VM or physical machine ?

regards

Gayathri

0 Kudos
psibaja
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Mdamdedo,

When you are talking about vSphere, what specific product are you referring to? This is because vSphere is the name of the entire Suite of VMware products on which vCenter and ESXi are part of, but there are also other components. So when you say "Does vSphere support remote desktop connection?" is it a bit confusing Smiley Happy

To start with something that might help:

1. If you have a vCenter Server installed on a Windows Server machine, you could use RDP to login to the Windows OS and then manage vCenter from it (either from vSphere Web Client, HTML5 Client or thick Client if you are using 5.x or 6.0).

2. If you have a vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA), it only supports connections through SSH, Web Client or the DCUI (Accessible as a Console view in the Web Clients).

3. ESXi does not support connections through RDP, only through SSH, via Web Client or DCUI (normally accessible from iLO/iDRAC, etc).

If the above does not clarify your issues, then I would appreciate if you answer my first question so I can provide you with a more exact answer.

Kind regards,

Pablo

0 Kudos
Dave_the_Wave
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESXi installed on a box is headless. You can't install "VNC" on it to see its screen.

The only exception is if you have a KVM over IP or something like HPE iLO to see that is coming out of that host's VGA port.

There are other ways to "remote control" the ESXi: PuTTY, C# client, web client.

Windows VMs with RDP configured on them will certainly let you RDP into the VM, as with VNC, XenApp, afterall a VM is supposed to emulate.

0 Kudos