VMware Cloud Community
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere w/ Dell Controlled Turbo?

I'm just getting back into Dell HW after a 10-year stint on HP. I'm looking at some specific settings within the Dell BIOS and came across the "Controlled Turbo" Proc option. At first I thought it was their hyper-threading tech, but now I'm reading it more as Proc over-clocking. Can someone verify that? Is there any information on performance gains vs. MTTF? or increased failure rates? I can only guess that as there is more wear and tear on the HW that would shorten product life (proc, fans, etc...)?

Can anyone recommend or otherwise?

Thanks!

Edit: Is there any effect on vSAN performance?

I notice what looks like CPU cycling spikes to ~8-10% when idle (no load, no powered on VMs), while other hosts my cycle the same, but the intervals are spaced further apart. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ok.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GWK8Pn8ec&feature=youtu.be

VMworld 2017 - SER2724BE - Extreme Performance Series: Performance Best Practices - YouTube

the infos i mean starts after 17min.

We reconfigure all of our Poweredge Servers and in 2 clusters we run vSAN.

Regards,

Joerg

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I followed one of the Performance Series session on last VMworld and one of the talks was about the powersaving options can C,P states stuff. The presentation contains the vmware prefered settings for HP and Dell servers for the general purpose use, which means that VMware would like to see to get the controll more to the ESXi hypervisor instead the "Maximum performance" setting which disable powersaving options which negative effect the CPU turbo clocks.

I remember that you watch the vmworld session on youtube. I'll see if i can find it.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks. VMworld 2017? That would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Yes it was VMworld 2017. I have the Slides as PDF from the session. But iam sure that i also find it later on YT.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Ok.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9GWK8Pn8ec&feature=youtu.be

VMworld 2017 - SER2724BE - Extreme Performance Series: Performance Best Practices - YouTube

the infos i mean starts after 17min.

We reconfigure all of our Poweredge Servers and in 2 clusters we run vSAN.

Regards,

Joerg