VMware Cloud Community
zer0sig
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere says insufficient disk space to inflate a VMDK file

Howdy,

I have a VMWare host running a single VM that I provisioned thin at the time of build, and I want to inflate the disk. I'm not sure why, but it says there isn't space to thicken it. I deleted the one file I had uploaded, a 1.5GB ISO, and logging into the SSH on the host it shows a bit more space than vSphere reports. What gives? I am unclear as to why it would let me create a disk and then wouldn't let me thicken it, as it required the space to exist to create it. Logs appear to be pretty small.

Any suggestions? I tried several thigns on Friday to no avail. Is there a way to cut a little off the end of the provisioned size (it is far smaller, taking probably 3TB out of the 14.549999 or so TB provisioned)? I couldn't see anything other than using vmware convert which is not practical, and this is a customer's on-prem device that I can't just log in and mess around with vSphere at a whim. I'd like to have a strategy for this. Anyone else have any experience with this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Do you have SnapShots?

If you have it you have to do the "Commit", because they take up a lot of space.

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
zer0sig
Contributor
Contributor

The user created a snapshot, but I deleted them (to consolidate down to one disk) before trying to inflate it.

Does something still need to be done because of this?

0 Kudos
sk591
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you attach screenshots of the disk space available on the datastore, the VM directory, VM settings showing vmdk properties? This can give us a clear picture of what is going on.

0 Kudos