VMware Cloud Community
routing1000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere role

Hello,

i heard that in NSX-T, we don't need vsphere essentially like NSX-NV

so what will be the use cases of vSphere 6.7 or 7 without nsx-nv platform ?

Thank you!!!

regards,

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You mean NSX-V, there is no such thing as NSX-NV.

NSX-T can indeed function with or without vSphere.

This article may help you: NSX-T vs NSX-v – What Is the Difference?

Not sure what you mean by your question on use cases though, can you elaborate or explain in more detail?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
routing1000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Scott,

thank you for your reply..

some are saying for learning NSX-T, knowing vSphere is not required thats why i am wondering then what vsphere will do if not required in NSX-T ?

thank you..

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

NSX-V was only used in vsphere enviornments, NSX-T can be used in others so its not 100% needed to use vsphere but doesn't mean you can't.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What do you mean by “what vSphere will do”?

Just because NSX-T can run without it doesn’t mean that vSphere has no future, or that the networking functions within vSphere serve no purpose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
routing1000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Scott,

Please dont mind about my question..

i have no idea about vSphere capabilities at all. that's why i am trying to understand scope of vSphere 6.7 nothing else.

Thank you !!!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vSphere 6.7 still has a lot of networking capabilities regardless of any version of NSX: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-67-networking-guide.pdf

0 Kudos