VMware Cloud Community
romatlo32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere replication bandwidth throttle?

I've been searching a bit on this, but not much definitive information.

Specifically wondering if VMware has a way to throttle vSphere replication bandwidth?

We are constrained on our 100GB L2 point to point line and seems that when even just one VM is replicating (RPO time), it consumes the whole line, causing other applications to suffer.

Anyone know if VMware has a setting or with the Replication Appliance?

I was able to throttle our Nimble storage replication, because Nimble has a setting.

Long story, but QoS at the router/switch level not an option at the moment.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rahulsharma0304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, in this case you can create separate portgroup for replication traffic on your standard switch and enable traffic shaping on that portgroup.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly. Regards, Rahul Sharma

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
rahulsharma0304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI,

If i understand your requirement correctly you want to limit the replication traffic.

If you are using vDS and Enterprise license then you can use NIOC to control or limit your replication traffic.

Configure Bandwidth Allocation for System Traffic

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your question have been answered correctly. Regards, Rahul Sharma
0 Kudos
romatlo32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well darn.  We don't have an Enterprise license and therefore do not use vDS.

Any suggestion for Standard vSphere licensed users?

0 Kudos
rahulsharma0304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For Standard Edition, you can use Traffic Shaping on Replication portgroup to limit the bandwidth.

0 Kudos
romatlo32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That sounds good if you are dedicated a whole NIC or port group to replication, right?

We are replicating on the same network as our Production.

I know, not ideal...

0 Kudos
rahulsharma0304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, in this case you can create separate portgroup for replication traffic on your standard switch and enable traffic shaping on that portgroup.

0 Kudos
romatlo32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, you just bring up a good point.

I guess I could create a separate port group even on the same VLAN as our production (so not to cause necessary IP changes, etc.), then enable traffic shaping.

0 Kudos
rahulsharma0304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

absolutely correct, this should solve your problem

0 Kudos
romatlo32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for that, I am getting ready to test.

Do you know if it is true that vSphere replication will consume an entire line bandwidth if it can?

Meaning, even if we upgrade our line from 100 Mbps to 200 Mbps, would still have a concern?

0 Kudos
rahulsharma0304
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well i am not sure about vsphere replication bandwidth consumption but if Traffic Shaping or NIOC type of mechanism is in place then it will not exceed the configured limit.

i would recommend you to test the traffic shaping on dedicate portgroup before upgrading your connection.

0 Kudos
romatlo32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I created a new port group (on same vlan as production), changed the local vSphere replication appliance NIC to the new port group and set traffic shaping options (peak, avg, burst) to 40 Mbps.

I don't see a change yet.

I am running esxtop and do not see where the replication appliance is sending a bunch of data (MbTX/s).

I wonder if it is the (IP) NIC on the host that is transmitting replication?

I thought that the replication appliance did this work?

Maybe I am not doing it right?

0 Kudos
romatlo32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think the suggestion of traffic shaping is a good idea, but seems to be needed on the ESXi host NIC/vSwitch level, when trying to apply at the source.

The plan for the Spring will be to add a NIC to Hosts, dedicate it and a (standard) vSwitch to replication VLAN (or the same VLAN 1), and configure traffic shaping on it.

Thank you!

0 Kudos